Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need lift kit help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need lift kit help

ok. I'm about to get a lift kit and I need a little help. I would like an 8 inch lift kit but I will take a 6 inch if I have to but no lower. I would love a 10 inch if I could get my hands on one for the right price but we all want something. Having thumbs and wanting things is what makes us human. I am going to get a loan from the bank and I need to know how much. I have been looking at lift kits but I'm not realy sure what I need. I have seen suspention lifts and all kinds of stuff. Each kit seems to come with diferent part. Some kits dont come with shocks. Some dont come with suspension. So I am confused to what all I will be needing to buy. I dont want to get the loan and by the parts and end up not buying everything I need. I am wanting to get everything I need for 3000 or under. To sum it up I want an 8 inch lift kit (6 inch at least) and new beautiful big tires. I have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee lerado 6 cylinder. I dont do rock crawling but I do live in the country so lots of dirt roads, pot holes and rocks. I would like mud tires so I will have good grip for out doors. I do go mudding and what not in it and play it in the woods with it. Just dont go rock crawling. So I need my tires to have good mud grip but I also drive on paved roads and highways daily. I can buy a used or new lift kit. Someone plz help me Thx.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by zuuluu
ok. I'm about to get a lift kit and I need a little help. I would like an 8 inch lift kit but I will take a 6 inch if I have to but no lower. I would love a 10 inch if I could get my hands on one for the right price but we all want something. Having thumbs and wanting things is what makes us human. I am going to get a loan from the bank and I need to know how much. I have been looking at lift kits but I'm not realy sure what I need. I have seen suspention lifts and all kinds of stuff. Each kit seems to come with diferent part. Some kits dont come with shocks. Some dont come with suspension. So I am confused to what all I will be needing to buy. I dont want to get the loan and by the parts and end up not buying everything I need. I am wanting to get everything I need for 3000 or under. To sum it up I want an 8 inch lift kit (6 inch at least) and new beautiful big tires. I have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee lerado 6 cylinder. I dont do rock crawling but I do live in the country so lots of dirt roads, pot holes and rocks. I would like mud tires so I will have good grip for out doors. I do go mudding and what not in it and play it in the woods with it. Just dont go rock crawling. So I need my tires to have good mud grip but I also drive on paved roads and highways daily. I can buy a used or new lift kit. Someone plz help me Thx.
what tire size are you going to run with a 8-10in lift?

theres no way I would get a bank loan to lift my rig. parts wear out and things break. are you going to get another loan when the bushings go out?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:03 PM

I realy dont know what size tires I'm going to get. How often do bushinngs go out and how much do they cost?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by zuuluu
I realy dont know what size tires I'm going to get. How often do bushinngs go out and how much do they cost?
I wheel with a guy that has 35's on about 6" lift on his ZJ. 8-10in lift you better be getting some 37's or 38's.

Im not saying bushing will go out Im saying things will break. then what? get another bank loan? stupid idea on get a loan. save your money!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

my buddy has a cherokee that they custom made a lift. its about 10-11 inches of lift. they made it strickly for mud racing with a full built motor. Its looks good but its top heavy and does not perform well on the street. If it is a driver i would not go that high. look at most of the rigs on this site. they range anywhere from 3-8 inches of lift realisticaly. That should get you anywhere u need to go. Id be carefull going much higher then that. i have 5 inches and run 32s. if i trimmed my fenders i could easily get 33s and i pretty much go anywhere for the most part. good luck!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Keep in mind your axles will limit you as well. At 6-8" you can clear 36-37" tires but your axles can't handle that big of tire. The front is maxed at 33-35s and the rear (prob a D35) is good to 33s without lockers. Like someone else stated you will be really top heavy and will need a good bit of offset on your wheels to help stabilize you. I ran 33s on my old ZJ with 4.5" and some trimming and went everywhere I wanted. Also good luck with the budget. A 6" kit will run you over 2k plus drive shaft and sye and tires. A more reasonable budget for a 8" lift with tires is 5k+.

Last edited by xjmarc; 06-02-2010 at 08:37 PM.