Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need to know what a part is called

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need to know what a part is called

Have an issue where the metal piece that the fan shroud and electric fan clip into on the lower support are rotted away and causing me issues. Is this a replaceable part or what can be done? My fan shroud is junk and I had some random metal hanger that was attached to that piece (that rotted out) and the top of the radiator that got sucked into the fan today and did a bit of damage but luckily didn't puncture the radiator. So what is that part called? Is it the lower air deflector or is it part of the lower support? Cant seem to find a parts diagram that shows what the two tabs on the lower portion of the fan shroud and electric fan clip into. Its a 2000 cherokee....kinda figured that was a given on this forum though. Tried searching....but since I'm not sure what its called I'm not having much luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

I don't think that is a removable part, I'm pretty sure it's welded in as part of the unibody. First you should do a thorough inspection of the unibody rails and determine how bad your rust issue is. If it's worth fixing I would either hit up a junkyard and cut out what you need, or find a cheap donor and have a parts rig. Pictures would really help though....
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Is the lower support on the radiator not replaceable? Its like a lip that comes off what I thought was the lower rad support towards the engine that would have slots cut in it for the tabs that are on the bottom of the shroud/elec fan. I might just have to pull the rad and fashion something out of sheet metal. This jeep sits a lot, not actually mine....moms, and typically only sees the NE winters. So I can see how a thin piece of metal up front would get totally attacked by sand/salt when it sits. The lower support under the rad seemed to be in decent shape given the area it resides in.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

If the rest of it doesn't look bad there is no reason why can't cut some sheet metal and weld or rivet it in. You should also check the engine mounts.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Looking the part name is 90% of the battle.

Go here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...?utm_source=cj

Download the parts manual for the 2000 Cherokee. Takes about 4 minutes to dowbload the pdf. It has blown up diagrams, and likely will have a name and parts number. Once you have that you can google it and see if it's available. I just downloaded it and glanced at the section for the radiator environs. Think you'll find what you need there.

I have had some luck finding this kind of stuff at Pick-N Pull wrecking yards.

Keith
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Keith thanks for that link it was very helpful and if anyone actually cares, the piece I was referring to was actually the tabs that stick out of the bottom tank of the radiator. So it looks like a new radiator for me....easy enough. Thanks again guys.