Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help on snow tire choosing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Need help on snow tire choosing

Well in Missouri sometimes we do not get that much snow... Well sometimes like last year. Well I am need help and opinions on snow tires. What about brands? I am really looking for tires and put them on my stock rims. I know the specs of my tires but choosing company to buy them from is iffy for me. Just wanted to know what you have used and your experience with them.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Registered Users

Engine: 4

It depends on whether you are going to be doing a little bit of deep snow driving or driving on snowy roads. The Goodyear MT/R has been rated as one of the best deep snow tires.

The BFG A/T K.O. is a great choice for overall snowy or icy conditions so long as you are not looking for a studded tire. The high ammount of siping and good coumpound make it great. It also handles very well at low pressures which is needed for the really bad conditions. I personally have owned 3 sets. You can go to tirerack.com and read the reviews that people post on tire performance.

The bfg's are probably one of the best all-round tires ever made...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a set of bfg mt 31's and loved them in the snow. I could crawl down steep snowy trails no prob. I also never got stuck in deep powder and only chained up when I had to pull my buddies 4runner with studded tires out of a ditch on the trail leading up to the rubicon. He didnt even get farther than walking distance from the parking lot. He also had no brain, he drove a 4runner. If you never go off paved plowed roads then a set of cheep studded snow tires is fine but if you plan to wheel in the snow, or have the few times that you need to break threw deep pow to get out of your driveway, I think you will enjoy the mt more than the at or trail tire with studds. studds are good on Ice but do no good on deep snow. I lived in south lake tahoe and I dont know what kind of snow you get where you live, but ours was deep, then packed into ice, and then plowed to blacktop and melted away. As for brand, the bfg mt was the best out of the people that I know who had 4x4's. The bfg mt has a stiff but not too stiff rubber compound so you get fair life and good traction. If your going for studded tires then you want to change them after the snow melts because you will wear out the studds and possibly fling some off on the highway. that is not a big deal but eventually you end up with street tires that wont balance and are not that great on lite snow. all and all your not gona get stick to the ground performance in all conditions so figure out what you plan to drive in and pick the tire that best fits that application. the most extreem is studded mts but thats also the most expensive and need to be changed the most. good luck and drive safe on the paved roads.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 AM

Most we got was 8 inches last year and first time in about 4 years when we got that much snow in so little time.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

Take a look at the hankook dynapro mt. I got a set for my truck and had them siped and studded for last winter and they were AWESOME! Not sure on the sizes offered though..
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

If you are just talking dd and not much in the way of trails I would go with something like the Blizzak for your take off rims. They work fairly well on packed snow and ice and you don't have to listen to studs on dry roads. That said they do wear faster because of the softer tread compound.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Year: 1994

The secret to snow is tall and narrow. Wide tires float up on top and can't develop any grip - you might as well be skiing. Skinnies dig down to the ground/pavement where you can get some bite.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAEMI
The secret to snow is tall and narrow. Wide tires float up on top and can't develop any grip - you might as well be skiing. Skinnies dig down to the ground/pavement where you can get some bite.
Or these

Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

i normaly run 235 75 15's good year wranglers M+s they work awesome in M+S :P
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

These are good!

http://http
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZc4us_VzY8&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited by Rock Toy; 09-03-2010 at 07:02 PM.