Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help Picking "decent" parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 CYL 2.5L
Talking Need Help Picking "decent" parts

Hello Guys and Gals, I'm a 19 year old guy who's dad just decided to give him a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl 2.5L. And I've decided that this is going to become my new project, I would like you kind people to help me determine which parts would be best for me and my uses. My knowledge is very limited so please bear with me. I'm looking to use this car for cross country roadtrips, possibly a little "off roading" nothing like driving up a mountain or rock crawling but getting through some trails to get to camp sites or through sections of unpaved mexico. I also want it to have a pretty "cool" look. Anyways here are some of the stuff i was thinking about getting. A 2.5 to 3.5 inch lift kit, roof cargo rack, "metal" front and rear bumper, possibly winch, "suggested" engine upgrades (remember its a 2.5L 4 Cyl). Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated, if you could also tell me where exactly where i could find the parts that would be great thanks

Last edited by Flash728; 08-21-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

what axles and gearing you got?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 PM

I honestly have no idea, how can i find out?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Flash728
I honestly have no idea, how can i find out?
take some pics of the rear axle and ill tell ya
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM

its parked at my dads place (doin so minor interior work) but anything else in the mean time? like as far as a 2.5 to 3.5 in lift kit, whats a good brand that i could look into?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 PM

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Last edited by Flash728; 08-20-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: incorrect image format
Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Well buddy I'm going to give you an honest opinion. I think you should sell it. 330k is a lot of mileage; especially on a 2.5. You would have better luck with a 4.0. They are near indestructible with the proper maintenance. But as far as the actual upgrading goes, here's my suggested list. Keep in mind I don't possess the best knowledge on these forums, hopefully somebody else will help a bit too. And it also depends on your budget:

• First do a tune up. Replacing plugs, belts, fluids, hoses, etc. Drive it like that for a while and see how it runs.
  • Then it's time for recovery points. This is a must. I would rather be safe with a pair of d-rings in the rear and a winch in the front instead of a lifted XJ with 35+ meats on there. Get some C4x4 tow hooks, a simple d-ring for the rear. If you have the cash to spend then get a winch. Invest in a nice recovery strap and tree saver.
  • Time for lift and tires, this is the fun and expensive part. For lift kits, since you're new and I don't know much about your desired rig or your budget, you can spend the money and get a quality ride from Old Man Emu or Rubicon Express. Both are great kits. But if you are on a low-cost budget you can try Rough Country. I suggest getting the 3" full pack. Always try to stay away from add-a-leaf as the dreaded sag will eventually come sooner or later. If you go higher than 3" (like into 4.5" kits), you're going to need an SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) and/or a Transfercase Drop Kit along with extended brake lines and extended shocks, which can add a pretty penny to your total cost. As for tires, depending on what kit and what size you went for (we'll assume a 3"), you can run 31x10.15 tires. This is a good starter size and it does come with performance. Since this is your project build you should go ahead and grab some Mud Terrains, like BFGoodrich, Super Swampers, Mickey Thompson, Goodyear MTRs, Dunlop Mud Rovers, or Cooper Discoverer STT's. There are other tires as well, just make sure you do a lot of reviewing before you buy.
  • Now it's time to armor up. Most people do this while in the recovery stage. Everybody builds differently though. If you're doing light off-roading and mostly camping trails. A strong and sturdy front bumper should do the trick. JCROffroad, Nates4x4, ARB, and arrior all have mostly positive reviews. Equip that with the necessary recovery points and you're set. Rock sliders are optional. Then you should do a gas tank skid plate and a tranny skid.
  • For lighting go with Hella, KC, IPF, or even the el-cheapo Baja Lights from Wal-Mart. Most are reasonably priced and easy to install.
Optional but highly recommended equipment:
CB Radio
Hi-Lift
Shovel
Full-size spare
Gas can carrier
etc.

That's about most of what I recommend. I could keep going but most of this information is in the forums, just search and you'll find what you need. And remember, .
Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered Users

I have to agree, i would sell it and get a cherokee with the bulletproff 4.0
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Well I'll take that under advisement, because this engine has made it all the way into the butt crack of mexico and back, never had any engine related problems. Although I will look into possibly "trading" this car to an unexperienced guy somewhere down the road possibly for a second build. I'll post pictures of the rear axle so someone could tell me whether i have the Dana 35 or the Chrysler 8.25 (at least i do know my 2 options). And yes i was planning on doing a full tune up flushing all systems and replacing all fluids, as well as belts filters plugs distributor cap. And replacing all that with high performance parts. Like i said i'm not planning on using this XJ for any super heavy off roading, just camping trails and road trips. The engine it has in it currently feels rock solid to me, so I'll keep it for the time being. And i think i've decided on the old man emu suspension, 2.5 lift i guess all i need to do is figure out what rear axle i have, I'll post that as soon as i have a picture. But any other input? other than i should sell?

Last edited by Flash728; 08-21-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah try to trade that beast. 330k is a lot to ask for in a 2.5, and I'm amazed it went that far. Did you get any helpful information from my first post? Just wondering, good luck with the build.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Here are the pictures of the axle, please let me know what i'm workin with?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered Users

pictures of the pumpkin is what i was after
Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Flash728

Well I'll take that under advisement, because this engine has made it all the way into the butt crack of mexico and back, never had any engine related problems. Although I will look into possibly "trading" this car to an unexperienced guy somewhere down the road possibly for a second build. I'll post pictures of the rear axle so someone could tell me whether i have the Dana 35 or the Chrysler 8.25 (at least i do know my 2 options). And yes i was planning on doing a full tune up flushing all systems and replacing all fluids, as well as belts filters plugs distributor cap. And replacing all that with high performance parts. Like i said i'm not planning on using this XJ for any super heavy off roading, just camping trails and road trips. The engine it has in it currently feels rock solid to me, so I'll keep it for the time being. And i think i've decided on the old man emu suspension, 2.5 lift i guess all i need to do is figure out what rear axle i have, I'll post that as soon as i have a picture. But any other input? other than i should sell?
you could have the 44 or the 20 too
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

20 ????

My 2 cents is Get a RE super ride 3.5 inch kit. Get the Edelbrock IAS shocks. and it WILL ride like a dream + be able to do some mild offroading. The only other thing you may want to make it more offroad capable would be quick disconnects for the front sway bar.

Quick Reply: Need Help Picking "decent" parts