Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default need help!!!!

so i get into my jeep yesterday to go to work, i put the key in the ignition and it is locked adn would not turn, i tryed wiggling the steeringwheel and all that stuff still not working, correct me if im wrong but could something be wrong with the ignition switch in the column??
Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Oops, sorry about the first one. I'm a moron in the A.M. lol
Sounds like it could be the lock cylinder, nothing a hanes manual and some simple removal tools (you can rent the lock plate puller and steering wheel puller at your local parts store) can't fix. The only thing is if you have an airbag, then I wouldn't go near that thing but rather bring it to a shop. But I don't think the '94's had bags yet, so you should be o.k.

Last edited by BowtieGuy3; 11-11-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot that can't read.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by jcherokee94
so i get into my jeep yesterday to go to work, i put the key in the ignition and it is locked adn would not turn, i tryed wiggling the steeringwheel and all that stuff still not working, correct me if im wrong but could something be wrong with the ignition switch in the column??
Lock cylinder may be getting worn out. You can replace just that cylinder or have a locksmith do it if you like. Do you have the GM column or the Chrysler one? They may have much different cylinders. I am only familiar with the GM column.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
"CF Moderator"

Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
Oops, sorry about the first one. I'm a moron in the A.M. lol
Sounds like it could be the lock cylinder, nothing a hanes manual and some simple removal tools (you can rent the lock plate puller and steering wheel puller at your local parts store) can't fix. The only thing is if you have an airbag, then I wouldn't go near that thing but rather bring it to a shop. But I don't think the '94's had bags yet, so you should be o.k.
No Air Bags in 94 AFAIK there was no option until 1995...Tj
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

my 98 would do the same thing. it took me three hours one day to get it to turn so i called a lock smith cause i gave up. he told me the problem was dirt build up on the teeth in it or whatever the word was and he sprayed it out with some kind of oil charge me 20 bucks and its been find ever since. so i dont know much about locks i just know how to put keys in it. but what ever he sprayed did the trick cause my jeep would do that off and on for about three months till it really **** up.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by SCjeep
he told me the problem was dirt build up on the teeth in it or whatever the word was and he sprayed it out with some kind of oil charge me 20 bucks and its been find ever since. so i dont know much about locks i just know how to put keys in it. but what ever he sprayed did the trick cause my jeep would do that off and on for about three months till it really **** up.
Sounds like you might get away with using some carb/brake cleaner followed by a healthy dose os lube or graphite...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCjeep
my 98 would do the same thing. it took me three hours one day to get it to turn so i called a lock smith cause i gave up. he told me the problem was dirt build up on the teeth in it or whatever the word was and he sprayed it out with some kind of oil charge me 20 bucks and its been find ever since. so i dont know much about locks i just know how to put keys in it. but what ever he sprayed did the trick cause my jeep would do that off and on for about three months till it really **** up.

it sounds like that might be it!!! ill go buy some de icer or graphite at walgreens real qucik and let you guys know!!! thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 2x
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

WD40 baby! Spray and Pray