Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help 1996 Cherokee Sport bogging down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help 1996 Cherokee Sport bogging down?

I have a 1996 cherokee sport and I'm having a big problem. My jeep has 94,000 miles and I have recently replaced cps, valve cover gasket, plugs and wires, changed belt. I have a problem where when I start from a stop my car doesn't really accelerate. I'll push the gas pedal in and I can hear the engine running at about 2,000 rpms but the car is barely even moving. It's like I'm pulling a giant horse trailer. I can also maybe hear a clunking coming from the transmission when it switches to second gear. The problem is only bad when I'm going under 20 mph. I really hope it's not my transmission going out, but also I found a sticker in my car that said do not use plow over 10mph. This makes me think my car was used in Colorado Springs to plow snow, which I know is extremely hard on the transmission I also cleaned the tps iac and intake, i know that the cap and rotor need to be changed, but I do t think that has to do with my problem. I'd like to try any small fixes before I settle on it being a tranny problem I'll answer any questions and I have a descent mechanical knowledge and have access to a professional grade shop where I can do anything but transmission work, which is a bummer. I'd appreciate any responses.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yikes! Sorry, sounds like the tranny to me. But hey, I'm no expert. I would maybe put some Lucas transmission additive in there and see if it makes a difference. If it does, that might answer your question. Is your reverse gear okay or does it mimic your first gear?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Transmission fluid level & condition?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Actually now I really hope that the tps is going bad, because I've had all the classic symptoms and I really think I might have exaggerated, but it could definitely be the tranny but I'd really like to try the cheapest first you know and my tranny fluid is perfect condition it just was changed and it smells normal and is full.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What Fluid?

Originally Posted by Cory.Cleavenger
tranny fluid is perfect condition it just was changed and it smells normal and is full.
The fluid change is most likely the problem. If you used anything other than Merc/Dex 3 problems will occur. Especially slippage.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM

If really like to start with smaller things first and it's not really a tranny problem it's more described as accelerator lag I'll rev it to 2000 rpms and the car still won't giddy up like it usually does
Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

If really like to start with smaller things first and it's not really a tranny problem it's more described as accelerator lag I'll rev it to 2000 rpms and the car still won't giddy up like it usually does
Clogged catalytic converter?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by SteveMongr

The fluid change is most likely the problem. If you used anything other than Merc/Dex 3 problems will occur. Especially slippage.
^^^^ This. Did you fill with ATF+4?

Cheap fixes first dude.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM

I used the genuine mopar ATF that the manual recommended. I'm going to change the tps cap and rotor seafoam my engine first because I already have the parts. If it doesn't fix I may flush the tranny fluid again and maybe just end up installing a whole new exhaust with catalytic converter. Be back with you tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Don't use that junk. As soon as the warranty on these things expired Chrysler replaced the lubricant specified by the actual manufacturer with the cheap **** they carry in bulk. AW4s filled with ATF+4 are known to slip and have all sorts of issues. But what do they care? No more warranty to support, and they can sell rebuild services for a nice revenue stream.

Dexron III/Mercon is the only suitable fluid if you don't want slippage. Commonly sold as "D/M"
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I used the genuine mopar ATF that the manual recommended. I'm going to change the tps cap and rotor seafoam my engine first because I already have the parts. If it doesn't fix I may flush the tranny fluid again and maybe just end up installing a whole new exhaust with catalytic converter. Be back with you tomorrow.
If that is ATF+4 it is the wrong fluid for the AW4 and has been known to cause slipping issues. The AW4 transmission used in the XJ is made by Aisin-Warner (hence the "AW" prefix) not Chrysler and is virtually identical to the Toyota (Aisin) A340.

Aisin has only ever recommended DexronII (early models) and DexronIII/Mercon which is what should be used. Chrysler recommended ATF+4 as a money saving move (so dealers wouldn't have to stock multiple fluid types) after the XJ was out of warranty and it has been proven to cause problems with AW4s (especially older/worn ones) since it is much thinner and reduces line pressure which can cause slipping.

Start be getting the ATF+4 out of there and putting in some DexronIII/Mercon.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Good info dmill, thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM

I'm actually starting til lean toward a blown head gasket I know that I've been all over the place, but I just noticed a milky light brown substance leaking from my car. I also noticed it's overheating very quickl. The reason why I say this is when I felt the oil it had the smell of antifreeze but I could smell a hint of oil too, and it was slightly more lubricative than normal coolant. I haven't done a test on the exhaust smoke yet, because it's literally blowing 70mph winds at the moment. I just finished replacing the fuel filter cap and rotor and the tps and made no difference here are some pictures of my fluid.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM

My bad when I felt the leaking coolant it felt oily and dis colored and smelled like antifreeze
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM

And I also just finished filling with new Mercon III fluid and I also blew out the rest from the hoses with a air compressor, and now the problem is still the same.

Quick Reply: Need help 1996 Cherokee Sport bogging down?