Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default need help!

Hey has anyone had any issues with not having a front skid plate? i took mine off when i first got my jeep and never put it back on. my alternator went out and i replaced it today and i went to put the skid plate back on to keep mud and water off of the new alt when i go wheeling, only now with my lift it wont fit so i have to cut it. will the mud and water and stuff hurt my alternator? id rather not go through all the trouble of cutting the skid plate if i can leave it off.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Well depends on how much water and mud and stuff you drive through and on what kind of basis. Im curious as to why you now need to cut it to fit the skid? What is now in the way or does not fit? If your planning on doind lots of water crossing and mud pits, the skid wont do a whole lot of protecting your under carage parts from the elements anyway. Good Luck!!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM

Well the steering components hit the skid when i turn it so i was gonna cut out the part of the skid that it hit. I mainly wanted it up there to keep the mud off of the alternator. I just went wheeling this weekend and my alternator went out and im wonderin if it was because it was caked in mud?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherrybomb
Hey has anyone had any issues with not having a front skid plate?
What's a front skid plate?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 PM

I guess my question was will dirt and mud ruin the alternator? Or water like from a puddle on the street after it rains?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by Cherrybomb
I guess my question was will dirt and mud ruin the alternator? Or water like from a puddle on the street after it rains?
clean water wont... but sand/mud in the water will ruin the bearings quick (hitting a puddle shouldnt do anything short term)... there are a few marine alternators out there but they are ALOT of $$$.. your best bet (if you like the mud) is buy one at a auto-parts store with a warrenty unless that is against your morals some people make splash gaurds out of plastic/metal/cloth or anything they can get their hands on... Some other people move it higher up the engine... nothing really works if you go submerge it

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-31-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

You basically take a gamble everytime you hit a decent size puddle. The location of our alternators is in a terrible spot. Any decent amount of water hitting an electrical generator(alternator in this case) could cause it to short/go bad.

water+electricity no likey each other.

You could relocate your alternator if you are worried about it, ive had mine submerged lots of times and shes running good still, matter of luck really.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

the front skid does nothing in terms of keeping water out of the engin bay. The skirt that goes along with it is a differnt story. There is a cloth like material that I have seen connected to front skids that will help(I think) in keeping water out of the altinator. Your best bet is to make a splash gaurd for the altinator but be aware that the altinator needs to have air flow around it so you cant just wrap the altinator in plastic wrap and call it good.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Year: 1996 2-dr Sport
Engine: 4.0L IL6

Originally Posted by rideordie66
... so you cant just wrap the altinator in plastic wrap and call it good.

Dang! Another Saturday wasted!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Thx guys. Im not planning on submerging my jeep any time soon i just like playing around in the mud. The altinator is so inconeniently placed. I do have a lifetime warranty on it tho so i guess ill just hafto deal with it. I might try to make something. Thx for the help guys