Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

N00b, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default N00b, need some help

Hey all,

I just purchased a 98 Cherokee Sport, 130k miles on it. It runs like a champ but I'm very used to my Benz, which is fairly new.. so I wanted to ask a couple of questions after I've done some searching on the forum..

1. The AC Squeals when turned on: Fixed, thanks to tightening the belt up, lots of good info on the site for this.

2. Rough Idle: Not sure where to start on this one.. I bought plugs and wires and plan on doing those first.. I realize this is a 130k engine, but it seems like it is something simple to check on.. Any thoughts on other parts? Throttle Position Sensor?

3. 'Clunk' when coming to stops, and/or starting out. When I come to a stop, it feels almost like the back end clunks upwards. Same when I leave from a stop, it feels like it 'clunks' back downwards in the rear. Bad leaf springs? Some type of joint?

4. What is everyones experience with wheel bearings? There is a grinding noise (not super noticeable) coming from the front of the jeep when moving.. it doesn't feel like big tire noise, but rather something metal on metal...

Any other thoughts or things to get checked out ASAP? Everything else seems in pretty good order on it.. Thank you all! I did some searching but figured I'd make one big thread to get answers to all...

You guys have a great forum here!
Cheers
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

3. Check the bushings in the rear leafs.

4. Check the front driveshaft.

Last edited by Hooligan Off Road; 08-01-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by malken00
Hey all,

I just purchased a 98 Cherokee Sport, 130k miles on it. It runs like a champ but I'm very used to my Benz, which is fairly new.. so I wanted to ask a couple of questions after I've done some searching on the forum..

1. The AC Squeals when turned on: Fixed, thanks to tightening the belt up, lots of good info on the site for this.

2. Rough Idle: Not sure where to start on this one.. I bought plugs and wires and plan on doing those first.. I realize this is a 130k engine, but it seems like it is something simple to check on.. Any thoughts on other parts? Throttle Position Sensor?

3. 'Clunk' when coming to stops, and/or starting out. When I come to a stop, it feels almost like the back end clunks upwards. Same when I leave from a stop, it feels like it 'clunks' back downwards in the rear. Bad leaf springs? Some type of joint?

4. What is everyones experience with wheel bearings? There is a grinding noise (not super noticeable) coming from the front of the jeep when moving.. it doesn't feel like big tire noise, but rather something metal on metal...

Any other thoughts or things to get checked out ASAP? Everything else seems in pretty good order on it.. Thank you all! I did some searching but figured I'd make one big thread to get answers to all...

You guys have a great forum here!
Cheers
Rough idel might be either ur IAC witch is (probably dirty) next too ur intake on top of the manifold. Or can be ur 02 Sensor. if it was ur 02 when you start it up it would just eat up the gas more then the oxygen..

The clunk might be ur Rear Driveline U-joint's. How do i know?
mines doing the same thing (when shifting in drive or reverse,)
Causing tention on the driveline and u-joints making the noise.
And my drive line has alot of movement (bad joints) right now.

check ur rear driveline there should be no play in it up down side and side. there can be a smidge but none for the most part.!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Thank you both for the insight... good things to check..

I'll probably take it somewhere to have it checked out.. I don't have the tools or time to do much more than oil changes and quick swaps.. thank you both again!