Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Air bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Air bag?

I see there is a post about changing a steering wheel. It turned into an airbag talk. My question is " How hard do you have to hit something for the bag to go off?". I hit a Saturn hard enough to destroy my stock front bumper, and the brackets. The air bags didn't go off, thank my stars. The light comes on when I start her, and then goes off after a few seconds.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

It all depends, really.

I've heard of some really hard hits being taken without them being deployed.

In that very steering wheel thread there was a guy who's bag went off while hitting several repeated bumps.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
It all depends, really.

I've heard of some really hard hits being taken without them being deployed.

In that very steering wheel thread there was a guy who's bag went off while hitting several repeated bumps.
Lol really that's a b*tch. Id be so pissed if mine did that.

But I don't think you have much to worry about, my light does that in pretty much very car/truck/van/whatever I've been in. My 98 xj does it, my dads 03 F250 does it, my moms 10 highlander does it. I'm pretty sure all em do? Lol

Sent from my Droid using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM

Dang now I'm concerned.. My bag light is on.. Would hate to hit a speed bump and get hit in the face with an air bag.. I just got new glasses lol ...
Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 PM

I figured the light on during start up meant that it was doing a self check. My buddy hit a dog, and his air bags went off. I really punted that Saturn down the street. The guy in front of him did an e-stop for a yard sale. His ABS system stopped his car really fast. Non-ABS XJ's with a dirt bike on a hitch carrier won't stop that fast.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by briansgarage
Dang now I'm concerned.. My bag light is on.. Would hate to hit a speed bump and get hit in the face with an air bag.. I just got new glasses lol ...
If the light is on it means the airbags are disengaged so they shouldn't deploy. Key word is SHOULDNT. Check your clock spring and airbag control module or even the fuse.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM

I have been meaning to pull the gauge cluster out, and clean the conection. I also wanted to pull out the low fuel, low washer, and ABS lights. My XJ doesn't have ABS. maybe I'll pull the air bag light at the same time. If disabling them only requires pulling a fuse. Does it show up on a OBD II check? I always wear my belts.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
I figured the light on during start up meant that it was doing a self check. My buddy hit a dog, and his air bags went off. I really punted that Saturn down the street. The guy in front of him did an e-stop for a yard sale. His ABS system stopped his car really fast. Non-ABS XJ's with a dirt bike on a hitch carrier won't stop that fast.

In all my cars ALL the lights come on when the ignition is first turned on. CEL-Brake Etc. they all go out after 2 seconds or so. Its a self check as u said I presume.Also on a side note I had an accident about 3 months ago with my wifes 99 Solara ( mint condition-NO MORE ) I was doin about 30mph when some dude just turned right in front of me -had about 100ft to stop. I figured I hit his passenger side at about 15-18 mph. I got out and started yappin at him. The front was a little smushed but the airbag didn't go off thank god. His pass front wheel was was busted an laying on the ground. I never looked up at which spped SHOULD set off the airbag- since it has 2 sensors in the front.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

The lights on your dash do cycle on/off at start-up. Its a great way to see if your check engine/airbag lights are actually working. Would hate to find out they were bad AFTER the airbag failed to deploy. Actually, the insurance investigator looking into your untimely death would discover that.

So, the light/s coming on at start-up are normal.