Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

mystery trans leak..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default mystery trans leak..

2000 Cherokee 175K

After fixing what was a huge leak from the trans vent being pinched/ combination of possible water in the trans fluid; fluid literally exploded out of the dipstick when the car was turned off.

(When I originally had leak #1 I had actually drove the car for about 30mins with very low fluid. [idiot]
And I had to give it a lot of throttle to even move. And I admit it was really rough engagement from a standstill to a roll.
So hoping that didnt hinder my torque converter in anyway)

On to leak #2:

The trans is now leaking from what appears to be behind the inspection cover. Oil leaks all over my exhaust and huge smoke cloud behind me.
But ONLY after about 30 minutes of highway driving.
(same as when had leak #1 with the exception of where the fluid is leaking from now) Then again it could of been leaking out of both without my knowledge.

The pump seal is new in the front of the trans. I am pretty sure I had more common sense than to install the seal backwards.
(but then again I did go through hell finding the seal, and it could be possible)
So I am really wondering what it can be. But it does appear fluid is coming out from inside the bell housing area, and what I would assume is the pump seal.

Pics to show my "leaking from behind inspection cover" idea.
You can see how it is clean housing only where I suspect the path of the fluid is-

Is it possible that the pump seal could have been pushed out from the pressure from leak#1 issue?

I really hope I dont have to drop this transmission again. But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Let me also add, everything was 100% ok and not leaking before the leak#1 situation.

Last edited by x91evo; 07-02-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Let me also add I am pretty sure it needs a headgasket (new coolant is ick), The NSS has been disconnected since installing the trans about 3 months ago.

And all of the following are new:
-rear main seal
-oil pan gasket
-valve cover gasket
-PCV both
-cat is new (no backpressure issue that could burp up oil)

I am sure it is transmission fluid.

Also not sure if this would help anything, But when the car is cold it sometimes has an issue with accelerating.
Fluid is right at the "OK" mark in neutral while running.

Last edited by x91evo; 07-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

After a little searching

"You CAN blow out the front or rear seal if you drive around for too long with too much ATF - this is a big repair you do not want to do yourself or pay for if all you need to do is get the proper level of fluid in the tranny."

Admittedly I am pretty sure I had too much fluid (just slightly from my memory) in my transmission.

And it does seem like it could be leaking slightly out of where the transfercase and trans meet.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Can anyone give me any type of insight before I waste a day or two and do this

After this jeep is gone tired of these problems #3 big issue this year
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Kickdown/ tV cable is a pretty tight fit.
I heard it has a direct effect on trans line pressure.

Could this be partially responsible for what looks like over pressure in the trans?
It moves freely but anything is my guess now.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Happy 4th bump!

I realized this only happens at highway speeds.
Driving around locally proved to leak little if any fluid
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM

I cannot help you sorry but I have something similar going on. I will post if I figure it out.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

It is possible that your transmission is overheating and the trans fluid is "boiling over" and onto your downpipe. This is what I am assuming is happening since it only happens after being on the freeway for a while. This is what happened to me. What I thought was a leak was an overheat.

Are you lifted with bigger tires? Or are you stock?

None of your trans cooler lines are pinched? What color is your fluid? A nice red color? Does it smell burnt?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

U sure that's tranny fluid? That's what mine looked like when the O rings in my oil filter adapter hardened. Oil blows straight back and drips off the bell housing mimicking a bad rear main seal.

Also for engine oil leaks....It's crucial that that front tube on-top of the valve cover is free to vent. If that's restricted it will **** out the RM and everywhere it can. (from excessive crankcase pressure)
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
It is possible that your transmission is overheating and the trans fluid is "boiling over" and onto your downpipe. This is what I am assuming is happening since it only happens after being on the freeway for a while. This is what happened to me. What I thought was a leak was an overheat.

Are you lifted with bigger tires? Or are you stock?

None of your trans cooler lines are pinched? What color is your fluid? A nice red color? Does it smell burnt?
Lifted 4" stock rear driveshaft. Fluid is nice and new
(I have to keep adding it from the leaks)
No lines are pinched at all, I do think its an overheating problem also. Just not sure where to begin to look?
At first it was boiling out of the dipstick, and now its not doing that at all. So it makes me wonder why it would happen before and not now?
The only clue I have is the clean spot on the bell housing where it would appear its coming from near the input shaft.

I should probably mention I get pretty bad driveline vibes from 10-40mph then they are gone.

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
U sure that's tranny fluid? That's what mine looked like when the O rings in my oil filter adapter hardened. Oil blows straight back and drips off the bell housing mimicking a bad rear main seal.

Also for engine oil leaks....It's crucial that that front tube on-top of the valve cover is free to vent. If that's restricted it will **** out the RM and everywhere it can. (from excessive crankcase pressure)
Its red fluid, and my trans fluid is always low after my smoke show.
So I am pretty sure its trans fluid and my rear main is new along with every oil gasket in the area (minus the oil filter housing- block gasket)

Now that I re-read your post I went to look at it again, and my engine oil level is fine.
Just doesnt make sense to me how fluid is leaking from a new seal.

I am still wondering if the pinched vent from occurrence #1 could of wiggled the trans pump seal out?
Hate to point out how lazy I am but, I was driving with the pinched vent for about a week before I decided to do something about it
Old 07-05-2013, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Probably not related....I "zip tied" some of the shreds of that rubber stuff under there to one of my trans cooling lines. The plastic zip-tie nearly cut through the metal line! With dust from my gravel road, and a little oil from a small power steering fluid leak, it made an "aggregate paste", that with vibration was sawing through the metal! No kidding, there is a deep groove in the metal tube from the zip tie.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If that transmission has gone through several bouts of overheating and spitting up it's fluid, it probably needs to be pulled and overhauled (or replaced). I'm guessing there is now some internal damage. It's very likely that a violent fluid ejection like you had in event #1 damaged the seals- and not just the external ones.
Ever hit the pan with an infrared thermometer after a highway run?

Last edited by Radi; 07-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

yeah if the vent line was pinched it would cause excessive pressure in the transmission and blow the seals out no matter how new, if the trans got driven on really low fluid level it probably needs to be overhauled anyways.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Probably not related....I "zip tied" some of the shreds of that rubber stuff under there to one of my trans cooling lines. The plastic zip-tie nearly cut through the metal line! With dust from my gravel road, and a little oil from a small power steering fluid leak, it made an "aggregate paste", that with vibration was sawing through the metal! No kidding, there is a deep groove in the metal tube from the zip tie.
Thats ridiculous haha
Never would expect anything like that but good to know

Originally Posted by Radi
If that transmission has gone through several bouts of overheating and spitting up it's fluid, it probably needs to be pulled and overhauled (or replaced). I'm guessing there is now some internal damage. It's very likely that a violent fluid ejection like you had in event #1 damaged the seals- and not just the external ones.
Ever hit the pan with an infrared thermometer after a highway run?
I wish I had one, after a highway run it was extremely hot I am guessing because of the fluid level being exclusively low from the leak.
I drove for about an hour last night at highway speed with the fluid at the "ok" mark and I had no issues with smoking or shifting. Nor does it have an issue at lower speed gear shifting.

Originally Posted by jebmccall
yeah if the vent line was pinched it would cause excessive pressure in the transmission and blow the seals out no matter how new, if the trans got driven on really low fluid level it probably needs to be overhauled anyways.
It doesnt seem like it has any shifting problems. Occasionally when I am trying to accelerate quickly from a low speed the car feels like its lacking power. I usually have to shift to neutral and give it a little gas or literally floor the gas pedal
(then the power comes on and I get off the pedal) to get i t to accelerate at what I would consider a reasonable rate. But again this is usually when it has a low fluid. And I am not 100% positive if that is a transmission issue? But that would be my guess

Last edited by x91evo; 07-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.