Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my xj problem i cant figure out plz help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default my xj problem i cant figure out plz help

so i just got my xj running and it was running fine and cooling better than it did the temp runs at about 185-190... well i drove it around for about 6 hrs and it ran fine the next day ran fine but the next drove it maybe 10 miles and it just shut off and wouldnt start back up... idk what it was so i got it home and looked it over and after sitting overnight it started again so i sprayed it off a little and the temp was about 185 went to get in it to move it back to the drive way and it shut off and wont start back up right now....so i came to the conclusion that when it gets hot something is shutting it off but thats all i got so far any help guys???
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Looks like your jeep is running a little cool. Your T-Stat should be 195deg. and the jeep normal running temp should be around 210deg. As for the shutting down that sound like it could be your cps. That is if you are getting a good spark and getting fuel.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L

i had this problem with my 97: started and drove fine. died for no reason. started up and drove. died again. noticed my temp gauge stopped working after i went to school and back (20 miles). replaced the temp sensor ($10 i think) and that was it. dont remember a code being thrown. CPS will give out, it wont work here and there. if the CPS goes out your car WILL NOT start. start with the temp sensor (its on the water pump), CPS is expensive.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I once did this test Cruiser wrote up here in under 3 minutes with a $5 meter from harbor Freight. No doubt a goood place to start. Oh, and "Renix" is 90 and eirlier. (Sorry OBD folk)

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Looks like your jeep is running a little cool. Your T-Stat should be 195deg. and the jeep normal running temp should be around 210deg. As for the shutting down that sound like it could be your cps. That is if you are getting a good spark and getting fuel.
I gotta second this. If you isn't getting to 210 look into the thermostat. Make sure it's a 195 degree one. Having a 185 degree one will cause more problem than good and, as I've heard, will cause you to burn more gas and such
Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM

well ive changed the cps and as far as the thermostat its got a 185 in it but im guessing thats gonna be replaced alone with the temp sensor
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by red97cherokeewithsunroof
i had this problem with my 97: started and drove fine. died for no reason. started up and drove. died again. noticed my temp gauge stopped working after i went to school and back (20 miles). replaced the temp sensor ($10 i think) and that was it. dont remember a code being thrown. CPS will give out, it wont work here and there. if the CPS goes out your car WILL NOT start. start with the temp sensor (its on the water pump), CPS is expensive.
a cps only cost $37 and that sounds like your probelm i just replaced mine and it is running great again
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Although you might be right about the CPS, even though he should test it first and not just throw the money, I'm more concerned of the long term issues of the 185 stat.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Although you might be right about the CPS, even though he should test it first and not just throw the money, I'm more concerned of the long term issues of the 185 stat.
agreed. get the right stat and temp sensor before the cps. youll be good.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

Check the guts of the dist., and your coil , ballist res. (and when was your last tune up) while your looking at the whatever above said.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

TEST the CPS first. As Flintstone says, it's a 3 minute test!!

And as much as I agree you should have the proper thermostat in your Jeep for optimum efficiency, it isn't causing your shut-off issue.

A good complete tuneup is always a good idea. High quality parts like cap and rotor with brass contacts, champion Copper or NGK plugs and high quality wires like Napa sells.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by gsrcivic
well ive changed the cps and as far as the thermostat its got a 185 in it but im guessing thats gonna be replaced alone with the temp sensor
Is it still stalling after you changed out the cps? Keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Just replaced my cps and it doesnt stall out now and I have a slightly faster start up time
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM

im have the same problem after i changed out the cps my last tune up was maybe 600 miles ago if even that i just bought the xj and its been nothing but a problem and is really making me miss my 4runner lol between work and it messing up i havent had it in the woods yet all these problems started 2 days after i replaced the thremo and radiator but it ran fine the day of...also where is the temp sensor located on my renix?? im having trouble locating it
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

The Renix engine coolant temp sensor is down on the left side if the block. (the knock sensor is down there too)

If my engine was dieing, I wouldn't hesitate to spend a minute to check the goodie that tells it to spark and deliver fuel. Then while looking for the problem, (if there still is one), the most obvious culprit will have been eliminated.

Any functioning T-stat will be fully open at operating temp.

Quick Reply: my xj problem i cant figure out plz help