Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My jeep needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Here are my problems. High rev until I put it in gear. When I do it bucks foward or back.(depending on rev or drive). Also when It is running everyonce in a while it has a rough idle and dies once in a blue moon. There is also a buzzing noise coming from my jeep. One last thing.... When make sharp turns my jeep squeaks/chips.

Any ideas on any of this?
It hasnt thrown a code...
I have searched....
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

do u have agressive mud tires? could be the casue of the chirp.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ivie_2006
do u have agressive mud tires? could be the casue of the chirp.
Ltx m/s...
So no just street tires
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM

I know your 99 is not set up like mu 88 but when this happened to me the motor mount bolts that go into the block had snaped causeing my engine to drop and push up on my accelirator rod, check and see if something is forcing your throttle body open
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 PM

on the squeek and chirps you might have a u joint going out on one of your front axles and on the buzzing noise where about does it seem to come from ( underneath or up front) and with it running rough and dieing some times it sounds like you might have a misfire
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM

one other thing to check is the mounting bolts going from the engine into the tranny theres two main ones One on each side that tend to snap and will cause alot of issues
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Layla
on the squeek and chirps you might have a u joint going out on one of your front axles and on the buzzing noise where about does it seem to come from ( underneath or up front) and with it running rough and dieing some times it sounds like you might have a misfire
How do I check the u joints?
I cant really tell where it echos around. Could be below or up front. Its def not a misfire 1 it would throw a code 2 I can tell
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by azxj99
I cant really tell where it echos around. Could be below or up front. Its def not a misfire 1 it would throw a code 2 I can tell
you get underneath and try and twist shake wiggel or just about any form of movement you can get.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ivie_2006

you get underneath and try and twist shake wiggel or just about any form of movement you can get.
And I assume if they move they are bad?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Bump
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

get underneath and see if they have any play in them there shouldnt hardly be any generally no more that 3/8"
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Here are my problems. High rev until I put it in gear. When I do it bucks foward or back.(depending on rev or drive). Also when It is running everyonce in a while it has a rough idle and dies once in a blue moon. There is also a buzzing noise coming from my jeep. One last thing.... When make sharp turns my jeep squeaks/chips.

Any ideas on any of this?
It hasnt thrown a code...
I have searched....
Since know one seemed to pick up on this, and went in an entirely different direction then what was originally asked, ill go ahead and help you out. High rev is usually cause by a vac leak(meaning you engine is sucking in more air than what it should).. The buck you feel is because of the high idle and dropping it into gear.. Same as a neutral drop when trying to race.. Is it a buzz or more like a hissss??

Or it could be your TPS (Throttle Position sensor) is out of wack.. but youll have more symptoms than what you explaining.

Im unsure about ur squick and chip though.. on my Dakota i was the control arm bushings that wore out and was causing the sounds. Plus ball joints went to ****..
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6

Since know one seemed to pick up on this, and went in an entirely different direction then what was originally asked, ill go ahead and help you out. High rev is usually cause by a vac leak(meaning you engine is sucking in more air than what it should).. The buck you feel is because of the high idle and dropping it into gear.. Same as a neutral drop when trying to race.. Is it a buzz or more like a hissss??

Or it could be your TPS (Throttle Position sensor) is out of wack.. but youll have more symptoms than what you explaining.

Im unsure about ur squick and chip though.. on my Dakota i was the control arm bushings that wore out and was causing the sounds. Plus ball joints went to ****..
Thank you, how do I test for a vac leak? Its more of a buzz...
I replaced my tps a while back and that isnt the cause.
Update: while driving today at about 40mph and 1500rpm it was glitchy... I dont know how else to discribe it
Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

hmm.. testing for vac leaks is usually a dosy for me, but normally just grab a rag and run it across all the vac lines and where they sit on the intake mani.. When the rpm drops to normal youve found your leak. I know there are other ways of doing it but i never have luck with those.. Im trying to think of the buzzing noise but cant pin point wat it could be.. Is there and area of the engine where you hear it??
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
hmm.. testing for vac leaks is usually a dosy for me, but normally just grab a rag and run it across all the vac lines and where they sit on the intake mani.. When the rpm drops to normal youve found your leak. I know there are other ways of doing it but i never have luck with those.. Im trying to think of the buzzing noise but cant pin point wat it could be.. Is there and area of the engine where you hear it??
Hmmmm....

Quick Reply: My jeep needs help.