Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My front end troubles, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default My front end troubles, please help!

ok, so i did a bit of off roading this past weekend and ill admit i was a little rough with her. so basically when driving on the road there is this wobbling feeling in the steering wheel and i hear the noise under my feet. its definitely coming from the front end and i went under her today after i washed her and grabbed everything i could and shook to see if anything was loose. nothing was and then i jacked the front wheels and tried to move them. they had no play when grabbing top and bottom of tire and shaking. BUT..when i spun the drivers tire it spinned freely with no weird noises or much effort. the passenger wouldnt spin freely at all.

So..sorry for the long speech but im thinking wheel hub bearing? what do you think i should look into next? (almost forgot..its uncontrollable on the highway and cant go past 50mph it shakes so much)
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

hub bearing,,,,,, its happend to a ton of us, also check your control arm bushings
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by semperfi96
hub bearing,,,,,, its happend to a ton of us, also check your control arm bushings
im gonna re-check the hub bearings tomorrow and the bushings on the control arms look fine. when i try to wiggle them they have no play.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Worng sounds like a locked up Caliper
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

i agree, the wheels should move freely. the way the spider gears work when you have both wheels up off the ground you should be able to spin either wheel one way and the opposite wheel will spin the opposite way. EX if you spin the driver side wheel forward the passenger side wheel should be moving backwards. if not then that in it self is a whole issue but it will not be causing your wobble on the road.

can you hear the bump/knock only when driving? or how about when you only turn the wheel?

i had a track bar bolt come loose at the axle and popped when i turned the wheel. this play will cause a shimmy.

Can you feel the bump/knock when you drive or just hear it?

the stamped steel lower control arms wallow out some times and give a good bushing a little bit of play in the arm itself.

Have you checked your tie rods?

worn out tie rods will give a wobble on the road and can cause some knocking sounds since it is an all metal part.

have you had your alignment checked?

most shops when they check your alignment will also go thru and check all of your steering components at the same time too, wheel bearings, tie rods, steerings pump, ect,ect. i know Big O does a very good job at this and warranties their alignment too.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Honorary Moderator

i agree, the wheels should move freely. the way the spider gears work when you have both wheels up off the ground you should be able to spin either wheel one way and the opposite wheel will spin the opposite way. EX if you spin the driver side wheel forward the passenger side wheel should be moving backwards. if not then that in it self is a whole issue but it will not be causing your wobble on the road.

can you hear the bump/knock only when driving? or how about when you only turn the wheel?

i had a track bar bolt come loose at the axle and popped when i turned the wheel. this play will cause a shimmy.

the stamped steel lower control arms wallow out some times and give a good bushing a little bit of play in the arm itself.

worn out tie rods will give a wobble on the road and can cause some knocking sounds since it is an all metal part.

most shops when they check your alignment will also go thru and check all of your steering components at the same time too, wheel bearings, tie rods, steerings pump, ect,ect. i know Big O does a very good job at this and warranties their alignment too.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Borego
Worng sounds like a locked up Caliper
both calipers are only 5 months old. there fine
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj

I hear the knock sound when i drive and when i turn but its louder at slow speeds but a lot rougher at higher speeds. I had an alignment done a week ago when i finished up my lift kit. im gonna have to check my tie rods tomorrow but what should i be looking for? when i shook them today they had no play really
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Honorary Moderator

if your tie rods are tight i am not sure man.

i would suggest looking into all of the front drive train, open up the diff cover(always good to change the fluid anyways right?) see if you notice anything. check the front drive shaft, just go thru all of your major moving components.

altho i am honestly not sure.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
if your tie rods are tight i am not sure man.

i would suggest looking into all of the front drive train, open up the diff cover(always good to change the fluid anyways right?) see if you notice anything. check the front drive shaft, just go thru all of your major moving components.

altho i am honestly not sure.
ok, ill be doing this today.
Front driveshaft has a little play outside of 4wd, when engaged in 4wd no play in driveshaft tho.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

did you remove the mud from the wheels?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

The wobbling sounds like a broken belt in a Tire or a bent rim or your bearing assemble is screwed.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by fantic238
did you remove the mud from the wheels?
I washed her real good the day after and it didnt help
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by itzdan420
The wobbling sounds like a broken belt in a Tire or a bent rim or your bearing assemble is screwed.
wouldnt i be able to tell if my tire was messed up? they all are only 3 months old and look fine still. rims are 6 months old and are also fine. im betting it is the hub assembly tho =/
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Both of my hub assy's were shot and showed no movement with tires on i wiggled and pulled and shook and everything and got no play out of them. But when i took tire off and tested them the wouldn't spin and had a ton of movement in them. I would start by checking those

Quick Reply: My front end troubles, please help!