Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My driver side door jam interior light switch fell in

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default My driver side door jam interior light switch fell in

It's a 95 Grand Cherokee. The left side plunger switch that opens to turn the interior lights off when the door closes fell into the jam. I haven't been able to fish it out and there doesn't appear to be any access into that compartment except through that hole in the jam.

I'm also having trouble interpreting the diagram in the Bishko repair manual. I'm trying to trace the wiring back to a connector or splice where I can access the wire and hopefully manipulate the switch back into the hole that way, or else pull it out and and find a new way to get it there.

Of course, I'd prefer some some tried and true method to fish it out trough the hole.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Usually the wires could be found so where behind the kick panels. Also there's often a large connector or multiple connectors in one area behind the kick panels or just under the dash. The wires for the jamb switch being one of them.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Getting back to you late, Waynerd, sorry. Been busy fishing around in a hole for a wire. Ha. Anyway, that doesn't appear to be the case this time. I had the panels off, but it's just metal up higher than the hole; so even if I find a loose wire that is it, I can't stick it back in the hole from behind like I was hoping. Really poor design, I'm thinking. You have given me an idea to try, but really hoping someone who's dealt with this before might answer. Like I said, I spent the money for the book with the diagram; I just can't interpret it. I feel a little cheated that they didn't print a photo, to tell you the truth.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Lol. Ya I was going by how the XJ cherokees are. It's been a long time since I had my XJ and don't quite remember it that well. The factory service manual will have full picture diagrams of where each wire and connector is located. A simple Klymer or Chiltons just has wiring schematics.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

In that last post I meant it's been a while since I had my ZJ. I was just doing some reading and it seems that the jamb switch in a ZJ is in the pillar between front and rear doors. Is this true for yours? Also you should probably post something in the section of the forum for Grand Cherokees. They would be much more familiar with that sort of thing.