Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY Operation "Cherokee Love" Is In Effect. A Run Down 89's Story To Glory.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6
Default FINALLY Operation "Cherokee Love" Is In Effect. A Run Down 89's Story To Glory.

I've had my Cherokee for almost a year now and for 9 months I have been planning a lift and restoration. It seems like every time I got close to getting some work done on it something stopped me. I also decided that its going to cost alot less to bring my Jeep up to a reliable maintenance level than my bmw 535i while at the same time I can upgrade it and have the most use and fun.

This thread is a place holder for my Jeeps transformation from a run down rig to something I can feel good driving. Finally.

Quick info. 1989 Cherokee Limited, 4D, 4wd, 4.0 renix, 230k miles when bought and doesn't use/leak a drop of fluid. Paid $240. Until today the work I have done has been:

New center console, misc missing trim and peices, new marker lights, sparks, fuel filter, air filter, cap/rotor, intake cleanup, some emissions removal, new drive shaft u-joints, fixed all power windows and new door locks, RC steering stabilizer, 5x7's rear speakers and 5.25" in the front, cd player, 12" JL sub.

Biggest issues have been: Suspension totally shot, shot motor mounts, massive manifold leak, rough running, shot steering, no heater, no interior lights, muffler hanging and needs a exit pipe....

Today I ordered the manifold gasket and flange donut and motor mounts and got this far.

Tomorrow that stuff will be in and the intake all cleaned up.

By the end of the month I will have rebuilt design III injectors, valve cover gasket, fix the muffler, new wires, o2 sensor, 4 new ball joints, wheel bearings, front axle u-joints, new drag link and rod end, zj pitman arm/sway bar/tie rod from the junk yard and new tie rod ends. Then RC adjustable track bar and Zone 4.5" lift kit.

Then a seafoam treatment, motor flush, ps fluid and oil change along with trans filter fluid flush, xfer case and dif fluid change. Last a CAI if I have the cash.

Then just wire in some interior lights, fix my heater and get some headliner and I'll be big pimpin

oh and bigger tires, fog lights, cool bumpers, roof rack, but not til later.... The list can go on for ever!!!!

Last edited by darknezz; 09-15-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L inline 6

Sounds like you have big plans. Can't wait to see how it turns out
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Holy crap thats alot of stuff on your to do list. good luck with all that.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

very interested. subscribed!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 AM

So yesterday autozone didn't send my exhaust flange gasket so I got that today along with some new bolts for that flange since mine snapped off.

Overall the job has been easy SO FAR the cleaning of the intake and head ports took up the most time. I have the gaskets done and drivers motor mount and put everything back together to hear my effort.

Jeep sounds great now! I can actually hear the exhaust instead of puttering exhaust from the engine, its idling soooo much better and has massive throttle response improvement.

I inspected my header carefully and took a wire brush to the welds, it looked ok thankfully.

Heres the intake before cleaning, really not bad at all, I expected MUCH WORSE for how dirty this engine runs. Damn that red rag is covering it but you can see the chunk missing on the last intake port on the manifold gasket, well that last exhaust port on the gasket was non existent.

after

motor mount...... I can't believe I've been driving it like this for almost a year.

most cars when a motor mount breaks YOU KNOW IT, I really didnt notice it much, though I'm sure I'll notice a big difference now.

and back together, kinda

So now all I have is the passenger side motor mount, which I thought would be easy? Wrong. Its the worst thing I've come across on the Jeep to date.

First I thought I'd just have to take the oil filter off, which GAVE ME HELL. Then I realized the only way (I assume) to get the long bolt out is to take the oil filter housing off too!

Well that oil filter housing bolt is in there REAL good and its in a difficult spot.
I'll get it tomorrow.

Last edited by darknezz; 02-06-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 AM

Passenger motor mount in.

Man I cant believe I went a year not doing this $45 weekend fix.
It feels like a different car, steering, response, idle, sound, its just great now!

The pass motor mount wasnt totally broken away but barly hanging and not doing anything.

The next thing I need to do STAT is a motor flush and oil change. I'm going with mobil 1 synthetic 10-40 and a mobil 1 oil filter, they have a deal at o'rileys for the 5 quart jug and filter for $20. Then I'll add some restore to the oil and lucus to the gas. I've had great results with both those products and now that the exhaust leak is fixed I can hear the engine is a little noisy.

On the 15th I will get new injectors, grab my zj pitman arm, sway bar and tie rod from the junk yard then order my new drag link assembly and zj tie rod ends. As well as fix my hanging muffler dumping straight under the jeep, my heater and wire in new led cabin lights.

Then IF I still have the $610 for the 4.5 zone lift and adjustable trac bar, woo!

God I still really need to flush my ps, brake, trans, xfer case and diff fluids and need new front rotors and pads
So much to do so little funds!

Last edited by darknezz; 02-07-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 AM

I cut my front corner of the fenders off today, no more tire rubbing

the bumper end caps will stay on til I get a real bumper, I hate the look of it with out them.

Where do you guys mount the horns?

The front flares will come off when my tires get big enough to rub, I think I'm going to put my back ones back on too for now.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Looking good man
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks.

So today I fixed my heat finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now its too damn hot in the cab

I unbolted my blower motor and held it while a buddy switched the heater controls, well when I was moving it around it all of a sudden came on.

So I pulled the cage off and found this inside the motor.

yummy.

I sprayed the inside of the motor out with electric parts cleaner until the liquid quit coming back out black.

Put it back in and heat works perfectly now!

I should also mention that in the blower motor opening there back up against the heater core was a bunch of pine needles, crushed leaves and insulation..... Not good. So even if your heaters ok it might be a good idea to clean that area out.

So to all of you that have a heater that works when it wants to and doesn't want to change speeds properly this may be an easy free fix!

I might need a new motor someday but I'm gonna run this one til it acts up again.

The other day when I trimmed my fenders I pulled that vacuum reservoir canister egg thing out and didnt plug the big vacuum hose
The canister has a huge hole in it anyway.

So I took out all the old vacuum lines and routed the big hose from the engine right to where the small hose goes past the fire wall. I also removed the cruise control and plugged its vacuum line. I took out the A/C lines as well since I don't really need A/C and it didn't work anyway and was the old style refrigerant.

Helped clear out the engine some, now if I just upgrade the cooling system so it doesn't have the idiot pressure tank.

I would also really like to take all those relays and wire connectors that are all in that area and put them in a water tight box of some sort cleaning up the look at the same time.

Thats all for now.

Some time after the 15th I'm going to do the wheel hubs, ball joints, axle u-joints, valve cover gasket, intake seafoam, motor flush and oil change next. Oh I need some kinda T thing to replace my leaking heater valve too.

Last edited by darknezz; 02-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

I'm subscribed. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I might have to try your trick with the blower motor on Sunday when I have time.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 AM

yea I think anyone that is having heater problems like it not turning on at all, not changing speeds or whatever should try that before buying a new motor.

I've wanted to do the OBA with the ac compressor since I heard of it.

I just found this awesome guide!

Gonna do it almost just like that but with just one outlet hose, without the "oiler" (I'll do it myself) and use the air hose instead of that copper tube from the compressor outlet, like he said he should of done at the end.

It will be a fun and cheap side project to keep me happy while doing the crappy stuff like my hubs/ball joints/u joints
Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Just ordered all this from autopartswarehouse. com
$190 with discounts.

Then the stuff off ebay. Getting my axle and front drive shaft u-joints from autozone, $36 for all 4.

Centric premium Brake Pad Set 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 6 Cyl 4.0L Part #: CE300.02030 In stock
$28.89 set

Brembo Brake Disc 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 6 Cyl 4.0L Part #: W0133-1812741 In stock
$25.95 each

Omix Tie Rod Assembly 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 6 Cyl 4.0L Part #: O321805406 In stock
$91.39

Replacement Tie Rod End 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Part #: REPJ282101 In stock
$33.86

Then these hubs $38 each.

Lower ball joints
$20

And uppers $21

So a good $346 dropped. Gonna go get my v8 ZJ pitman arm (for lift), tie rod and sway bar this week too. Hopefully all that will take care of all my steering problems.

What do you guys think of this $50 supposed RC adj track bar?! Thats $60 less than they normally are, knock off, or awesome deal?

I probably cant use it without a lift right?

Last edited by darknezz; 02-14-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

Contact the Rough Country vendor 'Grimus'. He gives a 10% discount to forum members. Might make going Rough Country worth it for you. I have the 4.5" with full packs and think its a great kit.

I really like what you have done so far. I love how you are bringing it back to life and not just slapping a lift on it.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I'm happy you bringing your rig to life. Def redo your exhaust and get that power. You might have posted it and I might have misread but I saw you said yours was hangin. Good luck with you build

Quick Reply: FINALLY Operation "Cherokee Love" Is In Effect. A Run Down 89's Story To Glory.