Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yet another XJ power window/lock problem

Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Yet another XJ power window/lock problem

I have read a lot of very helpful posts on fixing XJ power window / power lock problems. However, I'm stuck, and I'm hoping someone can help me with diagnosing my particular issue. (If you don't want to read everything, I'm mostly trying to figure out what the wires in the photos are for.)

To begin, none of switches in the passenger or drivers doors in my 99 Cherokee worked except for the window switches in the drivers door. The power windows would only work from the drivers door, and the passenger window did not work at all. The power locks would only unlock, but then failed completely.

I took out the passenger door module, and re-soldered all the points, and reinstalled it. Power locks worked again, but only unlocked.

I did the same to the drivers door module, re-soldering everything. Now power mirrors work on both sides, all windows work except for the passenger window (from either driver or passenger switch) and locks now no longer do anything at all. Feels like one step forward two steps back.

So now I am looking for broken wires, and I found some interesting work from the previous owner. On the drivers side there is a broken green wire with a black stripe, but it doesn't seem to go through the frame to the rest of the cab. See picture. Does anyone know what this wire is for? In the passenger door, it looks like someone spliced a single blue wire with red stripe to two blue wires with red stripes. Does anyone know what these wires are for, or why someone would do this?

Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dantastic
In the passenger door, it looks like someone spliced a single blue wire with red stripe to two blue wires with red stripes. Does anyone know what these wires are for, or why someone would do this?

Stupidity.

Two wires with the same color code MIGHT be there just to allow for more current to pass, but that's not guaranteed. If that's why they are the same, then the butcher job you found is probably not really doing any harm. But you'll need to trace them out and understand WHY they were two wires, before you know if you need to fix that, and how to fix that.