Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Cherokee almost stalled tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Cherokee almost stalled tonight

Something wierd happened tonight when I drove home from work. After work, I took my cherokee over to get some gas. I filled the tank full. When leaving the gas station, the engine lost a lot of power and almost stalled a couple of times. I had to rev the engine a little so it wouldn't stall. As I got close to home it started working fine.

What happened here?
Could this be a case of some bad gas? Did I put to much gas in the gas tank (If you can do that)

Or do I have a serious problem here?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Sounds more like an electrical gremlin. Could be a sensor on its way out. There are many causes of this so unless it continues it could be a tricky thing to track down. Have you checked for codes?

And no, you can't get it too full, unless it spills over.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 95ck
Something wierd happened tonight when I drove home from work. After work, I took my cherokee over to get some gas. I filled the tank full. When leaving the gas station, the engine lost a lot of power and almost stalled a couple of times. I had to rev the engine a little so it wouldn't stall. As I got close to home it started working fine.

What happened here?
Could this be a case of some bad gas? Did I put to much gas in the gas tank (If you can do that)

Im just getting thru this myself

for me, it turned out my 3 year old battery was taking a dump.
It tested out at 73%, no bad cells, and 660 CCA out of 700

my jeep started to almost stall , just like yours, and then one day i went to start it and nothing...

fuel pump is new, good pressure at the rail, cps is fine, alternator is fine...everything is fine, but my battery is junk

check your battery...apparently they can be bad without testing bad
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 95ck

What happened here?

Mine is also doing the same. I've checked everything except for fuel pressure. I am having everthing checked out with the proper tools/gauges today. Check all your connections, grounds, battery cables make sure they are CLEAN. Check your fuel pressure and make sure you are getting spark. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Courtesy of TJWalker:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

"Gently" wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

The writeup cruiser54 pasted is a good cheap starting point. Some sensors can also be effected by heat when they're not supposed to be - testing the TPS is cheap and easy.

My first thought was actually what black2000xj wrote. Lets get the cheap and easy stuff out of the way first.