Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is my brake binding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Is my brake binding?

Before I jack up my rig to test if the wheel can rotate freely in this cold climate, I want to get some opinions that if I am at right direction.
After a 2-mile short trip (about 4-5 stops), I noticed that the rotor on both front are extremely hot, and the passenger side rear drum feel more warmer than the one on driver side. Is this normal or should I be concerned about sticky brake. I didn't notice apparent dragging during acceleration, though.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by antibiotics
Before I jack up my rig to test if the wheel can rotate freely in this cold climate, I want to get some opinions that if I am at right direction.
After a 2-mile short trip (about 4-5 stops), I noticed that the rotor on both front are extremely hot, and the passenger side rear drum feel more warmer than the one on driver side. Is this normal or should I be concerned about sticky brake. I didn't notice apparent dragging during acceleration, though.
Thanks.
In my experience, symptoms of a hung caliper are pulling to one side during a slow coast and there will be a blue hue to the rotor. You can get caliper grease down at your local parts store, just use a SMALL amount on the caliper bolts, because excess amounts can bleed down to your pads and ruin your day. I've heard some guys use anti seize or sil gylde too. Its been years since I need to do brakes, but last time I used sil glyde and it worked great.

With the rear wheels off the ground, there should be a very slight resistance. I can't remember exactly, but I think the rule is that the wheel should rotate 1 1/2 times before stopping after a firm spin. If in doubt, set it a LITTLE loose, and in a safe area, back up and firmly hit the brakes. Do this a couple times..the drums are self adjusting. Brakes will naturally get hot, theres a lot of friction happening there.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the drivers side is the one to worry about is not working as hard as the other adjust the rears when the work better it will make the fronts not work so hard