Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my battery keeps dieing. dont know why

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Cool my battery keeps dieing. dont know why

So I bought a 93 cherokee about a year ago. Since then I've lifted it 3', put biggo tires on it, aftermarket intake, exhaust, starter, altinator, battery, headers, o2 sensor, as well as other good stuff. But as of late my battery keeps getting sucked dry and wont recharge. I have a beefy altinator and my sensors are all fairly new. Vac. lines look kosher, I'm just rather confused. Its not sending out codes. The belt was slightly loose so I tightened it after scoping out all other problems and it seemed to fix it for about two days, it shot up to about 14v for those two days, but now its just above red and still dropping. I'm thinking my altinator is burned out even though its almost brand new. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Are you sure your battery is loosing it's charge or is the gauge goin bad?? I would wait until your gauge reads low and then get a seperate testing device and test it your self. If the 2 dont read the same then I would say your gauge has gone **** up.
Good Luck!!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

check all the connections on the battery to make sure theyre tight. also, check the condition of your terminals/cables. make sure its grounded
Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

you need a minimum of a volt meter to get a reading on the alternator output. is it draining while you're driving, or does it not start after sitting? could have a draw on the system, weak battery, bad connection, bad alternator. llittle more info would help.

sounds like the alternator isn't very old, but i've seen way to many discount parts store rebuilt alternators fail quickly.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

CHECK all grounds
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM

put an amp clamp on the positive battery cable with the battery fully charged and the key out of the igntion. See what/if any amps are being pulled from the battery. I forget whats consider spec, but if it seems excessive, then you have a parasitic draw on the battery that is causing your battery to go dead,...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

i'm doubting he has this capability, thats why i suggested starting with a voltmeter.

but after a few minutes the computer will time out, and there should only be miliamps of draw from the computer and keep alive accessories. any more is a problem an amp or two will kill a battery in a night or two.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
i'm doubting he has this capability, thats why i suggested starting with a voltmeter
Ya could try taking off the battery cables, measure the Volts of just the battery, then put the cables back on the battery and then measure the volts, see if there is a voltage drop when the battery is hooked up

Sears Ammeter

I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there,...

If you think there is a decent draw on the battery, start pulling fuses and watch the volts of the battery. If you pull a fuse and the battery volts go up, that circuit might have a short or something that is causing a draw on the battery.

If you have a ammeter handy, you can just put it around different circuits and test it that way and not have to remove fuses
Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 PM

that is about the cheapest you can pick one of those up for that is somewhat reliable. you can also test for a draw with a 12 dollar test light. remove the negative cable and put one end of the light on the cable, and hold the light to the battery post. after the computer times out, the light should go out, or almost completely out. if it stays lit there's a draw. this is touchy cuz everything has to be off, no hood lights or anything can stay on or it will show as a draw, cuz it is.

i wasn't gonna get into all this yet, cuz he hasn't really clarified the condition of the battery dying yet.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Engine: inline 6

My battery is brand new, I bought it because I thought my old one was dieing. But the battery is in fact losing power, its not the gauge, I charge it completely, trouble shoot it, take it for a drive then it dies out or almost dies out as I come back to my apt. I have high powered everything, but I'm still running a stock distributor, could that have any effect, also I havent upgraded my wiring. But so far all my connections look good. The grounds look fine, but the battery wires are looking a little old. I'll check the volts like some of you recomended, and possibly replace the battery wires. I'm still sceptical on the altinator, its brand new almost but I think I may have burnt it off roading when my belt slipped awkwardly on it, and no longer turned it. Any other suggestions while I ponder over my nickle and dime jeepy?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Year: 1987

Go to Autozone or Advance and get them to throw an alternator and battery test on it
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM

check volts, sounds like alternator. don't rely on autozone, they're idiots. i've had way way way too many people in your scinario, have them test a battery, starter, or alternator and say its good, when it isn't.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Find a NAPA and replace your battery cables or simply your terminals.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

Pick up a multimeter, and check the voltage/current being put out by the alternator.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 AM

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
check volts, sounds like alternator. don't rely on autozone, they're idiots. i've had way way way too many people in your scinario, have them test a battery, starter, or alternator and say its good, when it isn't.
Well Autozone is my 2nd job, I know alot of stores have alot of idiots, But the battery/alternator tester will tell you voltage as well as amperage the alternator is pushing and also put different loads on the battery and charging system and if someone knows what they are doing they can tell you the problem, I always let people look at the tester while its going anyway

Quick Reply: my battery keeps dieing. dont know why