Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My 87 Stalls when its cold or when i stop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default My 87 Stalls when its cold or when i stop!

Hey guys i changed my TPS awhile back cleaned my Idle Air Control sensor replaced my CPS and now it seems like im running into the same problem that i had with my TPS it runs fine on freeway but when i come to a stop it dies! Or when its cold and i go to start it up in the morning the first stop sign i hit it dies so any suggestions would be great. I have pulled out the idle air control sensor and I have cleaned it so now I'm wondering do I have to replace it. thanks for all your help
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER

Originally Posted by rugerwallace
Hey guys i changed my TPS awhile back cleaned my Idle Air Control sensor replaced my CPS and now it seems like im running into the same problem that i had with my TPS it runs fine on freeway but when i come to a stop it dies! Or when its cold and i go to start it up in the morning the first stop sign i hit it dies so any suggestions would be great. I have pulled out the idle air control sensor and I have cleaned it so now I'm wondering do I have to replace it. thanks for all your help
your cps could have gone bad. had to replace one after 6 months. some auto parts are cheap and go bad. also, check your cam position sensor ( also called pick-up or relay on some models ) . my 97 jeep is cold blooded and i have to let it warm up before i can even drive off or it will stall. also, check your coolant temperature sensor. it sends a signal about how much fuel is injected to your motor dependimg on the gauges temp. cold crank-ups are usually related to your cam position sensor/pickup/relay or your crankshaft position sensor. if the vehicle just stalls out of nowhere, it usually is the crank sensor going bad. it get's worse until it won't start at all. day or 2 later, fires right up but stalls all over again. avoid the tow. check your electrical connectors on all sensors to make sure nothing is loose. check all your ground points to make sure their good. most problems are electrical or the crank sensor. happens all the time.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rugerwallace
Did you adjust your new TPS?

Did you clean the throttle body bore and butterfly?

See #s 11 and #8 in the following link.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/