Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Multiple Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Question(s)

All,

I'm hoping to get into a new-to-me XJ in the future, once the MC is sold. I went wheeling with my BIL in his Wrangler and man that was some fun!

Anyways, I've been doing alot of researching and I think I know what I want to do and wanted some opinions/thoughts/answers.

I'm most going to be doing trail riding (logging roads, oil/gas well roads, FS roads) along w/ it being my DD. I'm thinking about going with your basic BB, I just can't justify the extra $$ for 3"+ lift. Plus the potential for all the other stuff that is needed when going to that height.

Here's my starting list:
  • Quadratec HD Leaf Springs (betting on the stock ones sagging)
  • 2" BB
  • 30x9.50 or metric flavor (245/70, 255/70)

Here's the 2 lifts I've been considering, they're both about the same cost wise.
  • Daystar w/ greasable shackles
  • 4 Wheel Customs 2.25 - with AAL

Would you prefer one over the other? I don't know if the AAL is full, I do want it to ride decent. The other thing was, perhaps down the road if I do get "inchits", I would be able to reuse the Daystar.

The other thing that is really bugging the crap out of me. My BIL's TJ has a 2" BL w/ 31x10.50 ATs on it. So He doesn't really have any extra ground clearance, except what the tires provide. I was comparing (carpoint.com), XJ's to his TJ since we'll be going on the same type of trails to determine "how big to go." My though current on "how big to go", is littlest lift/tire combo that gets you where you want to go.On carpoint the ground clearance for the Cherokee is all over the place.

For example:
  • 1997 - 8.30"
  • 1998 - 8.10"
  • 1999 - 10" or 10.40" depending on model
  • 2000-2001 - 10.60"

What is the stock ground clearance for a Cherokee, does anyone know? I guess my thinking with a 2" BB + 30" I'd have more clearance than his TJ. Of course looking at some models, the XJ has more clearance stock than the TJ.

One more thing, what about shocks for a 2" lift. I can keep the current ones, but what is a good replacement down the road? I've read that some ppl really complain about shocks, I guess I'm not too picky. In the past, I just usually replace the shocks on the car or van with some $20 Gabriel's from AutoZone.

Thanks...

Sorry if I rambled on.......
Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

first off welcome to the forums, i hope to be seeing more of you around here.

for the lift i would stick with a shackle lift. since you are replacing your stock leaf packs you wont run into sagging in nearly the time the stock packs would. Avoid the AAL, its going to harshin your ride quality moreso then i think your interested in.

you may consider piecing together a two inch shackle lift though. get some shackles and some 2" coils, this will get rid of the having to use coil spacers and again will help with your ride quality.

for shocks, if you have the money down the road go for some OME's, they are going to be your best bet as far as ride quality goes. if your looking for a cheaper suggestion look into the monroe sensitracks.

-Kyle
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks Kyle, yea...I hope to be hanging around some more and be able to give back.

As far piecing together a 2" shackle type lift, could you expand on that some? I understand your theory, but....I don't want to spend a whole lot of time mixing & matching parts to get it "right" so to speak.

What options are there for 2" coil springs - OME has them.

What about shackles (options)? - All the BB kits (TeraFlex, Daystar, RE) list the shackle as a 1", which confuses me.

1" - 2" lift, unless 2+2=5 that doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry if these are stupid questions....I know how to turn a wrench, but there is so much stuff it's almost overwhelming.

BTW, sweet setup on your Jeep.

Open to all...anything on the stock height, why carpoint has such a variation.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

for coils you can consider something like this
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

or look into the OME 2" which will be a tad more expensive.

for the shackles look into these
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=467

your HD leaf packs will give you about .5" of lift so everything will sit very nicely.

that is the setup i would definatly look into.

-Kyle
Old 09-16-2007, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995 Jeep
Engine: 4.0l High output

Go big it would be fun. I have th 2" RE kit and it does great for the road. No probs. Also 31s on it.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7L

Don't go with aal! They sag and ride like **** also go with some 31s
Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H/O

you can squeeze 31s under a 2 inch lift. my buddie has a 93 with 30x9.5 under stock lift. doesnt rub...but he hasnt done any seriously susupension articulation yet...but from what you say, trails wont need massive articulation so id go with 31s and a 2 inch lift. what you can do for the rear is take a stock leaf pack, cut the eyes off the main leaf and throw the main leaf and second biggest leaf in your pack...its the same spring rate so it wont make it a very harsh ride...it will be firmer, but the stock springs are pretty wimpy with a load in the back.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...dget_boost.htm

read that. its a very cheap lift and it doesnt ride terribly from what i read. what i would do would be get front grand cherokee v8 springs and a 1 inch coil spacer, and maybe a .75 inch shackle in the rear and add just one leaf from a stock spring pack. that wouldnt give you a harsh ride, but a pretty good one, and i for some reason i dont like the idea of longer shackles because of the leverage it creates on the mount if you were to move the axle side to side. or just scower craigslist for a used lift. i got a rustys 3 inch lift with full leaf packs for 150$...granted it was pretty rusty and needed some good wirewheeling and painting... you have many options.