Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Has anybody tried a remote turbo on an i6 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Has anybody tried a remote turbo on an i6 Cherokee

Just wondering if anyone tried a remote turbo setup on a cherokee? I searched around and only found some superchargers and direct turbo setups but no remotes.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rushin
Just wondering if anyone tried a remote turbo setup on a cherokee? I searched around and only found some superchargers and direct turbo setups but no remotes.
if by remote you mean one of those exhaust mounted systems, i hardly see the benefit for a truck that most people use off road.. seems like keeping a snail in the engine bay instead of scraping it along the rocks would be a better idea. not to mention you could mount twin gt40s in a xj with room to spare (now that would be wild..)
Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

If that's REALLY what you want to do. Squire Turbo Systems makes a "universal" kit for any vehicle.

http://ststurbo.com/

We had a camaro at the shop I worked for that was fitted with Squire twin turbos and it was stupid quick.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jjm4life
if by remote you mean one of those exhaust mounted systems, i hardly see the benefit for a truck that most people use off road.. seems like keeping a snail in the engine bay instead of scraping it along the rocks would be a better idea. not to mention you could mount twin gt40s in a xj with room to spare (now that would be wild..)

the manifold is the problem i think. Because intake is in the way some what its hard to mount the turbo in the engine bay. You can probably mount the turbo in the back and put thick skidplate around it so its protected.

It seems like remote turbo would be much cheaper to make.

I guess i wonder how to retard timing and how to provide enough fuel.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sgtskid
If that's REALLY what you want to do. Squire Turbo Systems makes a "universal" kit for any vehicle.

http://ststurbo.com/

We had a camaro at the shop I worked for that was fitted with Squire twin turbos and it was stupid quick.
That's pretty cool. I think i could make my own kit for a bit cheaper.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would like to know out of, what seems like hundreds of people, how many have actually done a turbo install on their XJ? I would also like to know the average age of the person inquiring about an XJ turbo install? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions would be none, and under 22 years old.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I would like to know out of, what seems like hundreds of people, how many have actually done a turbo install on their XJ? I would also like to know the average age of the person inquiring about an XJ turbo install? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions would be none, and under 22 years old.

Hopefully that's because they realize its not as good of an idea as it sounds.

IMO, if you want more power.....stroke it. That will be my next step when this motor dies.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

seems like keeping a snail in the engine bay instead of scraping it along the rocks would be a better idea. not to mention you could mount twin gt40s in a xj with room to spare (now that would be wild..)
The turbo being under the hood would cause large heat issues, and the 4.0 is already known to have hot running temps as is, so an intercooler would be mandatory. Good luck plumbing that as well.

A single GT40 would be waaay to large for the 4.0, and twins would be idiotic. Do you understand how large they are and what their effeciency range is?

Not only that, but do you understand when that turbo would spool and make boost on this motor? You'd never use it.

You want a turbo similar to a Mitsu 18G or 20G, but your best bet would be a hybrid setup, heavily ported, clipped, and externally gated.

Originally Posted by Rushin
the manifold is the problem i think. Because intake is in the way some what its hard to mount the turbo in the engine bay. You can probably mount the turbo in the back and put thick skidplate around it so its protected.

It seems like remote turbo would be much cheaper to make.

I guess i wonder how to retard timing and how to provide enough fuel.
The manifold is no problem, you can have a "remote" tubular header to bring the turbo to a different under-hood location. The airbox would mostlikely be the best location, but this will severely increase under hood temps, and these motors already have heat issues. The remote style setup would indeed be the best, most effecient setup if you decieded to go with a turbo.

And a good skid plate would be best, along with a well thought out placement of the turbo.

Providing fuel isn't hard, you just use bigger Ford injectors. Its the controlling of those injectors that needs to be worried about. Depending on what you use to "tune" with you can cover timing as well, but GOOD engine management isn't cheap.

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Never done one, but I've got plenty of experience with turbo setups. I'm 25 to answer the 2nd part.

Its not as "far fetched" or "useless" as you'd imagine. Done right it can be very reliable, and make plenty of power even at super low RPMs. Eventually its gonna happen to my fiance's TJ, we're not doing a motor swap. The truck, in its stock form, carries plenty of sentamental value. We're sticking with the 4.0 block.

Her TJ is also an auto, so that helps a bit with making it easier and more useful.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

wow, that looks like a fantastic kit if you got the green
Old 11-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
The turbo being under the hood would cause large heat issues, and the 4.0 is already known to have hot running temps as is, so an intercooler would be mandatory. Good luck plumbing that as well.

A single GT40 would be waaay to large for the 4.0, and twins would be idiotic. Do you understand how large they are and what their effeciency range is?

Not only that, but do you understand when that turbo would spool and make boost on this motor? You'd never use it.

You want a turbo similar to a Mitsu 18G or 20G, but your best bet would be a hybrid setup, heavily ported, clipped, and externally gated.

The manifold is no problem, you can have a "remote" tubular header to bring the turbo to a different under-hood location. The airbox would mostlikely be the best location, but this will severely increase under hood temps, and these motors already have heat issues. The remote style setup would indeed be the best, most effecient setup if you decieded to go with a turbo.

And a good skid plate would be best, along with a well thought out placement of the turbo.

Providing fuel isn't hard, you just use bigger Ford injectors. Its the controlling of those injectors that needs to be worried about. Depending on what you use to "tune" with you can cover timing as well, but GOOD engine management isn't cheap.

Never done one, but I've got plenty of experience with turbo setups. I'm 25 to answer the 2nd part.

Its not as "far fetched" or "useless" as you'd imagine. Done right it can be very reliable, and make plenty of power even at super low RPMs. Eventually its gonna happen to my fiance's TJ, we're not doing a motor swap. The truck, in its stock form, carries plenty of sentamental value. We're sticking with the 4.0 block.

Her TJ is also an auto, so that helps a bit with making it easier and more useful.
x a mil.. Im still doing research learning about different systems and geometry of our 4.0s.

G.o.d: are there any other heads that would mate with the lower end??

Holset HX35/40

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 11-19-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM

clearly twin gt40s is an exageration. im just saying there is a lot of space in there. i've built a few turbo cars, and understand that a turbo that size wouldnt work in this application at all.

running any turbo without an intercooler seems like a failure waiting to happen to me anyway. and again, seems like theres plenty of room for one as well.
as for heat issues, isnt that the case with any turbo application? nothing a properly set up cooling system, coated parts and a turbo jacket couldnt handle.

lastly, a turbo under the hood makes a hell of a lot more sense than putting it underneath the truck. i can only imagine what a rock would do to a loose oil line ect.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
G.o.d: are there any other heads that would mate with the lower end??

Holset HX35/40
I haven't dove far enough into heads and compatability in the 4.0 to know what you can stuff on top, but I'd imagine its limited to other Jeep motors, and only I6 motors at that.

The Holset HX series is a stout turbo. They are just plain beefy.

But IIRC they are pretty close to a 50/60 trim, so unless you modded the hot side you may have late spool issues causing the main power/torque to be a hair out of range. But I've never run one, so I could be wrong about spool.

running any turbo without an intercooler seems like a failure waiting to happen to me anyway. and again, seems like theres plenty of room for one as well.
as for heat issues, isnt that the case with any turbo application? nothing a properly set up cooling system, coated parts and a turbo jacket couldnt handle.

lastly, a turbo under the hood makes a hell of a lot more sense than putting it underneath the truck. i can only imagine what a rock would do to a loose oil line ect.
Running a turbo car without an intercooler has been done, and been done for quite a long time. Most original turbos weren't intercooled. The main reason for the intercooler is to cool down the charged air, for both power and detonation reasons.

Obviously you haven't had much experience with remote turbos, otherwise you'd know that the long return path of the charge pipe acts as an intercooler. Just ask the guys with early model TT Camaros and Corvettes. Originally they had nothing for intercoolers, and they were still making 1100hp at the wheels. And that was using the exhaust of a V8, which is much hotter than a turbo Jeep will ever get.

And where are you gonna stuff an intercooler up front? In front of the radiator? Sticking a winch up there can cause airflow issues, and your sticking an extra "radiator" in front? These Jeeps have engine bay heat issues, its a bad idea to do even more to make it worse. On top of the turbo adding higher cylinder temps/overall running temps, sticking an intercooler in front of the radiator will ruin any gain you could get. And if you stick it behind, you lose the cooling air.

As for your "loose oil lines" how many times have you ripped up a fuel line? Brake line? That same rock that could meet a loose oil line could also meet any other line that is under the truck.

You do realize there are plenty of "lines" running from the back of the truck to the front, right?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Ive always wonder if the 2jz head would fit. and i dont think theres a big selection of heads from other jeeps. Arent they all pretty much the same??
Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM

To me a remote turbo setup is the best way to do it. With new age turbos that are easier to spool and cool lag will not be a huge issue. With the turbo in the back intercooler is not such a big deal.

I am wondering if at about 6psi of boost bigger injectors a raising fuel pressure regulator and a retard box from like MSD will be enough? I wonder if megasquirt makes anything that would work with Renex jeeps?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a turbo car without an intercooler has been done, and been done for quite a long time. Most original turbos weren't intercooled. The main reason for the intercooler is to cool down the charged air, for both power and detonation reasons. Obviously you haven't had much experience with remote turbos, otherwise you'd know that the long return path of the charge pipe acts as an intercooler. Just ask the guys with early model TT Camaros and Corvettes. Originally they had nothing for intercoolers, and they were still making 1100hp at the wheels. And that was using the exhaust of a V8, which is much hotter than a turbo Jeep will ever get. And where are you gonna stuff an intercooler up front? In front of the radiator? Sticking a winch up there can cause airflow issues, and your sticking an extra "radiator" in front? These Jeeps have engine bay heat issues, its a bad idea to do even more to make it worse. On top of the turbo adding higher cylinder temps/overall running temps, sticking an intercooler in front of the radiator will ruin any gain you could get. And if you stick it behind, you lose the cooling air.As for your "loose oil lines" how many times have you ripped up a fuel line? Brake line? That same rock that could meet a loose oil line could also meet any other line that is under the truck. You do realize there are plenty of "lines" running from the back of the truck to the front, right?
I would never install an air-air intercooler on a slow moving vehicle. If anyone were considering some form of FI, I would strongly recommend an air-water intercooler. They are FAR more effecient to begin with and won't require such a large core.

check out frozenboost.com

as for a remote turbo setup it seems there is room, and if you took the time to route everything cleanly, paying close attention to the suspension articulation, you should be fine. I just know from experience that boost leaks can cause some serious headaches.

I would strongly suggest a centrifugal supercharger, no concerns about manifolds, and we have the room, once the air box is removed. Get a custom crank pulley with an isolated belt for the blower; the serpentine is already stressed enough.

Quick Reply: Has anybody tried a remote turbo on an i6 Cherokee