Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

muffler insight needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default muffler insight needed

Turns out I need a new muffler. Not only is it 13 years old, but the Cat totally went out and blew crap into the OEM muffler, effectively clogging some of the flow, which in turn will end up screwing up the new Cat over time (according to the dealer).

That leaves me in the market for a new muffler. Which one should I get? I can do the install myself and I'd like to keep the cost relatively low. I would like to maximize performance without sacrificing too much volume (we all like the deep throaty sound, but the volume needs to be manageable). I have an infant that will need to be able to sleep in the car at times.

Thoughts? I'll gladly accept links to webpages too.
Thanks again,
s
Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Summit sells a Dynomax cat back setup that's right around $100..Also if the catalytic converter went bad they sell a direct fit magnaflo high flow cat for around $100.

summitracing.com
Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Summit sells a Dynomax cat back setup that's right around $100..Also if the catalytic converter went bad they sell a direct fit magnaflo high flow cat for around $100.

summitracing.com

^^^^^ agreed. I run this setup, better than OEM flow characteristics and a low rumble.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

^^^^ I just bought this Dynomax cat back from Summit on Friday. It was $143 + $12 shipping. I haul an infant, too, and took it on the word of many that it's quiet enough. It has clamps and uses stock hangers, so it's totally DIY.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Dynomax on Amazon.com and if i remember correctly they had a relatively lower cost than other places. but i personally didnt like how quiet it was and i jumped up to a Flowmaster Super 40. But for your purposes it should work perfect
Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98CherokeeSport
I bought my Dynomax on Amazon.com and if i remember correctly they had a relatively lower cost than other places. but i personally didnt like how quiet it was and i jumped up to a Flowmaster Super 40. But for your purposes it should work perfect
What about the differences with performance?
s
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Isn't there a recall on the 96 XJ concerning the engine computer? It causes Exhaust Gas Temp to be too high and it melts the CatCon.

I know mine (96 XJ 4.0) had the recall done this year.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bodo
Isn't there a recall on the 96 XJ concerning the engine computer? It causes Exhaust Gas Temp to be too high and it melts the CatCon.

I know mine (96 XJ 4.0) had the recall done this year.

Yup. Got mine done TODAY . since the DAPO didn't think to get the bucket of marbles fixed, she waited until the freakin Cat blew chunks into my muffler (can it do that?). Now I'm trying to make up for her mess. I've got a brand new cat (OEM) on there and now I need a muffler. Just looking for a good one.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

you can find a nice magnoflow system (cat and muffler) for about $350 on ebay. I had one and it sounded awesome.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Got on Summitracing.com and got confused (Where is the 'smilie' with a dunce cap?). To make sure I have an idea what I'm talking about, what is the difference between a cat back system and a muffler? why would I need one over the other? I'm primarilty interested in sound characteristics and performance.

Oh and which dynomax muffler are you referring to in the catback system?

s
Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by smtippin
Got on Summitracing.com and got confused (Where is the 'smilie' with a dunce cap?). To make sure I have an idea what I'm talking about, what is the difference between a cat back system and a muffler? why would I need one over the other? I'm primarilty interested in sound characteristics and performance.

s
Different type of chambers in the muffler itself. I noticed that cat back systems sound deeper and have more of a grunt to them.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by smtippin

s
Here's the one. The cat back just includes a new tailpipe with a stainless steel tip versus just a muffler. You could just buy a muffler and reuse your old tailpipe if you want.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Here's the one. The cat back just includes a new tailpipe with a stainless steel tip versus just a muffler. You could just buy a muffler and reuse your old tailpipe if you want.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
^^ thats it. Super Turbo.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Personally I would get the catback setup. Many times the tailpipe section will is a larger diameter then the factory setup. Also if your cat is bad I would replace it as well. Also may consider replacing the s-pipe/downtube from the exhaust manifold to the at. Another good mod is the APN header which is a direct bolt on replacement which flows much better then the factory setup.

APN header can be found at http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts...-manifold.html

Just doing a complete exhaust upgrade fromt manifold all the way back you will notice a big difference in how it runs. Also that APN header will only work on 91-99 XJ's with the 4.0.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

the dynomax superturbo cat-back is cheap flows well and wont be to loud. If you paint it flat black with high temp paint it will last a long time. You want the Cat-Back which is the whole exhaust from the Cat to the tail pipe hanger and all. That is a DIY system. a muffler will require cutting/welding to install and the rest of your exhaust is prob rusty so you should just get the cat-back.

Quick Reply: muffler insight needed