Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor rebuilt, then coil pack failure... hmmm

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Motor rebuilt, then coil pack failure... hmmm

I just completed a rebuild on my 2000 XJ 4.0L It was a head to toe engine rebuild due to a fantastic grenading..... I also replaced the crank and cam sensors as well.

So, things went great. New engine started great, I put about 10 miles of break in on it when I noticed a stumble. Then the stumble became a shutter, you get the idea. Very poor running. Initially I got codes for coil c (0353), high voltage from the temp sensor, and a bad cam sensor. I replaced/inspected ALL of the engine grounds. I replaced the firewall ground with a massive one. I had trouble with that ground in the past. All of those share those critical grounds I have since addressed.

Now the temp sensor and cam sensor codes are gone, but I get the 0353, 0352, 0351 like clockwork. You can hear them going as the engine starts to drop out. It takes 30 to 45 seconds of idle to happen. I inspected the coil connecter, cleaned it, kissed it, checked for fraying and traced it as far as I could. It looks good. I inspected the wiring harness for any signs of damage or wear and can find none.

My question, have any of you experienced a failing coil in this manner, or do I have a POS cam sensor? It's not OEM and that has me worried.

I reindexed three times thinking i had messed up during install. During the first 15 minutes of break in time, the engine absolutely purred. Now I can't get rid of the stumble.

Ideas?
SOLVED Read last post!

Last edited by Moncheche; 05-05-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Po0R TyPiNG
Old 05-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyway. I checked my fuel pressure and it's in the 40's.
Tomorrow morning I'll pull the rail and check the primaries. I've read through quite a few threads and this is where I'm at for the night.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Going to pick up a viper coil and install that. The spark is very weak and I believe the rail has had it.

Very few people want to touch this topic. It is a bit more challenging than most I guess. I'll keep everyone posted. By everyone, I mean me.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Moncheche
Going to pick up a viper coil and install that. The spark is very weak and I believe the rail has had it.

Very few people want to touch this topic. It is a bit more challenging than most I guess. I'll keep everyone posted. By everyone, I mean me.
Sorry man you are not alone. Just less trouble on the coil, so less people jumping in with ideas. I've not had a coil go bad, but I run an MSD ignition so I'm a bit off stock. The cam sensor is easy to swap so I would do it, then get your ratchet extensions and get a fresh crank position up there as well. I've seen posts from guys who swap in aftermarket sensors only to have it fail soon after. Couple of guys have posted the meter settings a good cps and cam sensor should read.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Cheddarnut thanks for the reply. I installed a 2000 dodge viper coil pack this morning and used wires from a 3.3 caravan. The coil pack is from the viper V-10. That car has a 6 and 4 coil system. The pack is plug and play for the 4.0 cherokee. All I had to do was extend the harness a touch. 99 XJ's have a slightly different wiring layout and cannot just plug and go, but a simple re-pin will allow those guys to use this mod as well.

I was able to slap on my old timing light and look at my marks... sure enough... I'm pretty good. I still might take to a guy with a DRB to get the final tune.

Runs like new. The coil rail is no more!

Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Would you mind taking a picture of this setup maybe? I'm pretty interested. It sounds cool