Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor Knocking!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Motor Knocking!

My motor started knocking the other day, so I checked the usual suspects. I pulled the inspection plate to the flexplate and it looked like it had a crack in it, I was 99% sure it did. I pulled the trans back and took it out, and to my surprise the crack that I thought I had seen was just a line through the flexplate to say the least it was very frustrating to see that I did all that for nothing. I came on here and searched and someone else pulled the oil pan to see if there was any metal shavings. So I pulled it and it looks like silver flakes all in the bottom of the oil pan. So what I'm I looking at? A Rod? If someone could give me a idea to work with that would be great, or tell me how hard it would be to fix. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Year: 1993

does it sound like a rod knocking? does the knock get faster as the engine revs? if so i think it might be your rod bearingsreplacing them might be a little difficult, so get back to me on that. if it is doing what im saying.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by greenmachine91
does it sound like a rod knocking? does the knock get faster as the engine revs? if so i think it might be your rod bearingsreplacing them might be a little difficult, so get back to me on that. if it is doing what im saying.
You can hear it right when you start it and when you give it gas and keep it around 3000rpms you can really here it, the sound is definitely coming from the bottom end of the motor. When I first checked for the sound I used a hose to kind of pin point the location of the sound, and it was way louder on the bottom end, by the oil pan/flexplate