Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this a money pit or do I keep going

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is this a money pit or do I keep going

Hi All,

so I have a 2000 XJ which I've had for a couple of years. Always wanted one since I lived in California in the 90's. So far I have had new leaf springs, changed the front UJs for new drive shafts with CV joints, rear brake shoes and cylinders and front discs and pads. But now, every common XJ problem is hitting me all at once; rear main seal, heater core leaking, water in the front driver foot well which I know is rain water because a) it is not coolant as that is in the passenger foot well and b) it only pools after it has rained lol, blend doors not working as I'm only getting hot air from the heater but no cold. It's MOT is due tomorrow and I'm dreading it. I do have a great mechanic who drives and fixes Jeeps so I'm in good hands. Question is, do I keep going with the old Jeep or call it a day and put it out of it's misery? This is not meant as a question and answer thread just me getting it off my chest. Thing is, I love my Jeep and had great plans for it (3" lifts, bigger wheels and tyres, take it off road and have some fun) but I can't get those bits done for fixing other stuff lol
Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like it's in pretty good shape to me...

Your list of stuff could be fixed in a weekend.

You swapped U-joint shafts out for CV style shafts? Why the hell would you do that?

Ultimately, ALL Jeeps are money pits. All vehicles are money pits.

I look at it like this, the money that I spend on repairs every once in a while is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying something new and having to actually pay a bill EVERY month.

Last edited by Lowrange2; 10-10-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM

I figured CV joints to be better than the UJs and more readily available here in UK

should also say that the original UJs were shot
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by inghamjon
I figured CV joints to be better than the UJs and more readily available here in UK

should also say that the original UJs were shot
They'r not better but in your case they may be more readily available. Idk, that's not the case here. Every store stocks u-joints here. They do not stock CV shafts.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Cv shafts may last a little longer and take some angles better but when they get tired and decide to go they do so with gusto. Anyways, everything you've listed is....well not to brag but for an experienced jeep guy a days work. One thing however is you said rear main seal.....check valve cover and oil filter first. Heater core? A pain but not that bad. Door trim is a 20 minute job, including the beer your enjoying at said time. Trust me on this- a 13 year old jeep will be cheaper to fix then a brand new or used car from a more recent vintage. Maybe not by an astounding amount, but enough to consider.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Sounds like all of your problems are normal maintenance item for any older vehicle.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Sounds like you own a Jeep. lol, only thing I didn't see was the oil filter adapter gasket, that's a fun one.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Keep it!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Year: 1992

If you give up on her...she will haunt you. Search ebay for the heater core. Its easy to fix just a tight spot. You could even pull the lines off of it for now and just connect them together to stop the coolant in the floor pan issue until you get the core fixed.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Once you get all the parts fixed your should be worry free for a while. The only big job would be the heater core. Maybe change your A/C evaporator while the dash is out as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I always knew that I would keep going with it. Just needed some moral support and words of encouragement.

I think once they are all done, that's the major bits out of the way and she should be good for a few years. My mechanic was not bothered about the work and he's not just looking at the money, he is a genuine Jeep lover (just got himself another 4.0l XJ) and he thinks mine is worth sticking with. He says the motor is really strong and all the other bits can be sorted.

Maybe I will post how I get on over the next few months.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Year: 1999

like lowrange said, it's a lot better than making payments on something new. My lady gives me **** because of how often things need replacing but the way I look at it, before long everything is replaced, you know the jeep inside and out, what's new what's not all of its little tendencies and if you keep it maintained it will last forever. Hell I don't even understand why people scrap cars when they need a new transmission or engine. That's still cheaper than buying a new car and you get a new or rebuilt engine! I know it sucks man and we all go through it but think of all the good times with her if you do fix it
Old 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Normal stuff to break after 14 years. Won't break again for another 14 if you did it right. Replace everythind and it's basically a new vehicle. (minus the wonderful new car smell) Seems pretty cheap when you look at it that way.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Well I'm not an experienced jeeper like alot of guys around this site (only 25) But I thought the same thing with my first 90 laredo and got rid of it and I was wishing I didn't ALL the time...Finally broke down and bought another 90 a few months ago, doesnt replace the feeling of my first one but I prefer to drive it over my 09 patriot any day of the week. My vote is to keep it and when things come up that need to be replaced then just do it then, I don't have very much mechanical expertise but this forum and forums like this are full of write ups and experienced guys who can help you pretty much diagnose/fix anything!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

How many miles on your XJ?

Is the car driveable with the leaking RMS?
What's that repair going to cost you?

What is the cause of the rainwater in the foootwell?

I've heard the heater core is a nightmare job, even for experienced wrenchers.
How many hours of labor is that going to cost you?

Quick Reply: Is this a money pit or do I keep going