Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Misfire CPS P0353, P0352, P1294, P1391 codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Misfire CPS P0353, P0352, P1294, P1391 codes

Just bought my cherokee 4.0 few weeks ago with a noise coming from the top end. Was reading a little and found that people have issues with sludge and u gotta clean a tune so I just started pulling things out and for some stupid reason pulled out the CPS gear. Now the motors misfiring at idle and sometimes while accelerating.

I read numerous posts on retiming it setting to tdc the finger in spark plug hole process and the toothpick. I did all that and it starts but after a few cranks. And then while driving it will be fine. Come to a light and it's shake, not crazy but noticeable. Check engine light on. Codes are P0353, P0352, P1294, P1391

Still have to get it inspected so I'm trying to get this fixed ASAP!

Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2014, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 4x4junky
Just bought my cherokee 4.0 few weeks ago with a noise coming from the top end. Was reading a little and found that people have issues with sludge and u gotta clean a tune so I just started pulling things out and for some stupid reason pulled out the CPS gear. Now the motors misfiring at idle and sometimes while accelerating.

I read numerous posts on retiming it setting to tdc the finger in spark plug hole process and the toothpick. I did all that and it starts but after a few cranks. And then while driving it will be fine. Come to a light and it's shake, not crazy but noticeable. Check engine light on. Codes are P0353, P0352, P1294, P1391

Still have to get it inspected so I'm trying to get this fixed ASAP!

Thanks in advance
After initial timing of the Cam Sensor, you need to have a person with a DRB III Tool set the timing. Dealer activity.

P1294-TARGET IDLE NOT REACHED - sounds unrelated to P1391.

When Monitored: With the engine idling and in drive, if automatic. There must not be a
MAP sensor trouble code or a throttle position sensor trouble code.
Set Condition: Engine idle is not within 200 rpm above or 100 rpm below target idle for
14 seconds. Three separate failures are required to set a bad trip. Two bad trips are
required to set the code.

Possible causes:
POSSIBLE CAUSES

THROTTLE PLATES/LINKAGE BINDING
VACUUM LEAK
THROTTLE BODY
THROTTLE BODY DIRTY

P0352-IGNITION COIL # 2 PRIMARY CIRCUIT - P0353 same, only for #3 Primry Circuit

Sounds like the result of the CMP not timed {?} or weak battery {?}

When Monitored: With battery voltage greater than 8 volts during engine cranking or
greater than 12 volts with engine running, engine rpm less than 2016, and none of the coils in dwell when checked.

Set Condition: Peak current is not achieved with battery based dwell plus 1.5 msec of
diagnostic offset. It takes less than 3 seconds during cranking or up to 6 seconds while
running to set.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE IN THE ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT
IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER CIRCUIT OPEN
COIL RAIL
IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
WIRING HARNESS INTERMITTENT
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
After initial timing of the Cam Sensor, you need to have a person with a DRB III Tool set the timing. Dealer activity.

P1294-TARGET IDLE NOT REACHED - sounds unrelated to P1391.

When Monitored: With the engine idling and in drive, if automatic. There must not be a
MAP sensor trouble code or a throttle position sensor trouble code.
Set Condition: Engine idle is not within 200 rpm above or 100 rpm below target idle for
14 seconds. Three separate failures are required to set a bad trip. Two bad trips are
required to set the code.

Possible causes:
POSSIBLE CAUSES

THROTTLE PLATES/LINKAGE BINDING
VACUUM LEAK
THROTTLE BODY
THROTTLE BODY DIRTY

P0352-IGNITION COIL # 2 PRIMARY CIRCUIT - P0353 same, only for #3 Primry Circuit

Sounds like the result of the CMP not timed {?} or weak battery {?}

When Monitored: With battery voltage greater than 8 volts during engine cranking or
greater than 12 volts with engine running, engine rpm less than 2016, and none of the coils in dwell when checked.

Set Condition: Peak current is not achieved with battery based dwell plus 1.5 msec of
diagnostic offset. It takes less than 3 seconds during cranking or up to 6 seconds while
running to set.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE IN THE ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT
IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER CIRCUIT OPEN
COIL RAIL
IGNITION COIL NO. 2 DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
WIRING HARNESS INTERMITTENT
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (IGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER)
So I would have to go the dealer to have it reprogrammed? I know that pulling out the CPS synchronizer is what caused all of this since I drove it 100 miles back from the dealer when I bought it with no problems at all until I pulled out the CPS and realized I shouldn't have. Now very day after work in trying to rest the timing over and over to get if back in spec and no luck. Is there anywhere else I can go in the tristate are in NYC that has the DRB scan tool? I hate dealing with dealerships. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

So I would have to go the dealer to have it reprogrammed? I know that pulling out the CPS synchronizer is what caused all of this since I drove it 100 miles back from the dealer when I bought it with no problems at all until I pulled out the CPS and realized I shouldn't have. Now very day after work in trying to rest the timing over and over to get if back in spec and no luck. Is there anywhere else I can go in the tristate are in NYC that has the DRB scan tool? I hate dealing with dealerships. Thanks!
Have fun trying to find someone with a DRB III that can/will help you.

Swallow the load and take it to the dealer. Ask them if they can do it before you go.

Here's the CMP/OPDA FSM instructions:

Name:  2000CMPOPDA1.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  222.7 KB

Name:  2000CMPOPDA2.jpg
Views: 3410
Size:  327.9 KB

Name:  2000CMPOPDA3.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  271.0 KB
Old 10-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the help. I was able to get my hands on a DRB 3 and set the CPS as close to 0 as possible. The car missing at the beginning but I did the master reset with the positive terminal to ground headlights on off and then voila as got 100 miles on it and running smooth! Thx again
Old 10-11-2014, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the help. I was able to get my hands on a DRB 3 and set the CPS as close to 0 as possible. The car missing at the beginning but I did the master reset with the positive terminal to ground headlights on off and then voila as got 100 miles on it and running smooth! Thx again
Good work, and thanks for the follow up.