Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default manual trans

New here. I have a 2001 with an auto.Is it possible to swap it out for a manual?I know they made them but rare for a 2001. I mean is it a bolt in swap with the emission/computer or is it major surgery? The jeep is long paid for, so the cost is not the issue. I just always liked the manual in my wrangler.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Yes it's possible, not it's not direct plug and play. If you just throw the trans in there then you will end up with some quirks like a CEL, no reverse lights, and a key that's stuck in your ignition. There's a lot of info out there on this with plenty of solid write ups.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Why do you want to switch to a manual when you have one of the best, if not THE best auto transmissions ever?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

'cuz it's not as fun, Cruiser!!

Indeed, major surgery is required to "do it properly". Particularly if the Jeep is in a jurisdiction with OBD-II emissions tests. Manual PCMs for that model year are raaaaaare, buying an older PCM to run it will require the ignition, wiring harness, and exhaust systems changed, and may be against federal law depending if you remove the catalytic converters or not. No idea if a PCM from a TJ would work
Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I own a 2000 cherokee 4.0 that used to be automatic, we bough them with a blown transmission that was supposed to be sent to the transmissions place, but never returned back.
So we bought it cheap, and I installed on it a manual tranny from a 92 XJ
It has been working great since the swap, off course it is not an OEM installation but it works good. and off course CEL is on, looking for the AW4 solenoids

Here the list from the top of my mind that you need to get.

Complete manual tranny and mounts (mine is 2WD the only one I could get for less that $1000 here in my country)
rear axle (length can be different)
pedal assembly
master and slave cylinder along with the line in between them
Specific year flywheel, and a complete clutch set
In my case the tranny crossmember did not bolt right in the place it supposed to, there are two sets of holes in the body, and neither of them fit nicely (the engine was pushed to the front) so I modify the crossmember a bit.
Need to bypass the NSS so the vehicle can start
on the same connector of the NSS you can find the reverse lights and have them connected to the manual tranny reverse switch (I did it with success)
Swap the speed sensor from your transmission to the new one (it is a digital one and it already counts the OEM gears on your vehicle)
Get the stick for the tranny, and the cover and boot (so it looks good)
I did removed the cables that are found on the old transmission, the one that goes to the front and then down to the tranny, and the one that goes to the ignition switch (the last one you need to remove in order to be able to remove your key)

I think tha pretty much covers it, not detailed but basically that is.

Someone said on another thread that by removing the TCU the CEL codes did not show, I need to try it!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO more trouble than its worth and nothing gained, only a lot of problems doing it but finding all the parts required then getting them to work together.

Then the possibility of it never passing inspection in your state.