Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Manifold gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Manifold gasket replacement

I have an exhaust leak up front, I am suspecting the manifold gasket is the culpret, i can hear it when I first start it, and it quiets as it gets warmer. I also have an idle miss I am trying to figure out. Could it be possible it is leaking both at the exhaust AND intake area, possibly in the same place?

Also is it a pain the the **** to replace the gasket? It sure looks like it is.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is possible to have a leak in the gasket for both the intake and exhaust since both manifolds use the same gaskets and bolts to secure them. I won't call it a complete pain in the backside to change, but profanity will be utilized to access a few bolts.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the manifold for a crack? My leak got quite after it warmed up too, the manifold was cracked.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Pulling the manifold is easier that you think. Once you start tearing it down it you'll see. Just follow the step by step in your haynes manual and torque it down properly and you'll be fine.

Some tips - Get a couple fuel line o-ring kits just in case. They're a dealer only item, but they're only about $20 a pop. Fuel leaks burn Jeeps!!! A week before you start hit every bolt you can with PB Blaster, do this a couple times during the week and drive it to warm it up. Its easier to pull the throttle body to do this, so nows a good time to clean it. I use a THIN bead of high temp copper RTV(only use copper RTV) on both sides of the gasket, it really helps. That rear PITA bolt fell out(broken) when I changed my gasket last, and that RTV has held for a good year now. A universal socket will really help, I think its a 14mm, if you don't have one, a 3/8" u-joint will work too, a selection of extentions will help too. I used my 4" and 12" alot. Anytime you pull these manifolds plan on broken bolts(doesn't always happen), so if its your DD, plan accordingly.

And yes, profanity will help that back bolt come out.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, I will tackle this one in the next few weeks. this weekend is my exhaust cat back, and trans case fluid, then go to my moms to change the oil in her Liberty(I do not like those "fake" jeeps, sorry if I offend anyone who has one). I buy PB by the 6 pack!!! Love that stuff.

I saw a few threads where the ex manifold had cracked on people. I had one do that in a Dakota I had many moons ago, I JB'd that one and it never made a sound again. I'm gonna look today while I am under the XJ.

I'll pick up some copper RTV too, thanks for the recommendation. That rear bolt does look like a winner...