Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Malfunction Indicator Light leads to new problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Malfunction Indicator Light leads to new problem

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can spare me some advice or help ? my jeep is a 1999 ( xj i believe ) uk model.

I was driving home from work the other day when the MIL flashed at me and then i lost all drive power. i think i pushed the clutch in and then lost power steering too. Luckily i stopped and bumped up the kerb ok ! I had no idea what was wrong so i turned off the ignition. I waited about 15 secs and tried it again and it all worked fine. I got home ok and am now looking into what happened.

So i have tried to find any error codes but no luck. I tried the turn key on/off x 3 way but get nothing. If i press the odo and turn on the ignition the dash goes through a cycle from 111111 - 999999 and moves all the needles etc. I dont get any error codes on the odometer when it ends !!

Also my overhead console and keyless entry hasnt worked for sometime ! Could the problems be related ? did have a battery issue this week when it was flat because my son left the ignition on even after he removed the key ( yes i dont know how he got it out either !! )

Any help would be great .. cheers in advance
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Any idea if it's OBD2, EOBD, or ?. Take a look under the hood (bonnet?) and see if there is a decal thats states one or the other.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1999 is OBDII. You really need that code from your computer for guidance and clues. For a 99, you will need either a code reader or a scan tool. The odometer trick won't work.
----------------------------------------------------

Retrieving OBD codes on the Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

OBDII models (1996 and “SOME” 1997 models) Put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number. It will then show the 2 digit error codes. The2 digit code is helpful, but it is not as specific as the full PXXXX code, which is only available using a code reader or scan tool, so generally I recommend using the code reader or scan tool. But if you have a CEL and don’t have access to a code reader or a scan tool, try the odometer technique to point you in the right direction until you can gain access to a code reader.

Note: The above OBDII odometer technique works only for 1996 and early 1997 model XJs, so while it might work on one 1997 XJ, it might NOT work on another! Once Chrysler made the change during the 1997 build year, for anything built after that date through 2001 you will need either a code reader or a scan tool to retrieve the codes.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Any idea where i can get a scan tool from ? are they expensive ? Is it the kind of thing you plug into a laptop and use diagnostic software ? If so where could i get the software from ? Or is it just get it to a mechanics and have them plug it in ?

Cheers