Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

This makes no sense (why no locker?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8L
Default This makes no sense (why no locker?)

So yesterday I went 4 wheeling for the first time with my jeep. Couple hours later I finally got stuck, hung the frame up on an edge too steep. As I look out my window to see my front driver side wheel spin and my rear passenger side wheel spin... I notice the other two that HAVE traction not spinning at all.

I own a mustang and the damn thing doesn't have a trac lock either... So I assume this is the same thing that the jeep has no trac-lok/lsd/posi-trac either?

So anyways to the point... Why would a vehical designed for off roading have no locker? I mean if I would of had a locker I could have crawled back down since the other wheels had full traction, instead thankfully another guy came by and pulled me off with a chain.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM

Well it makes perfect sense. First time wheeling you need to be getting used to the vehicles offroad prowness and learning how it moves and what it clears. Another thing is you said you FINALLY got stuck. It seems like you were trying to get stuck? lol Another thing is you should check to see if it has a factory limited slip BEFORE you hang it up on something. Stuck happens.

Now just because it's a Jeep doesn't mean your going to have a factory locker in her. You should know better than that and also have a wheeling buddy in these situations. I've learned the hard way and would recommend it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Trac Locks and LSDs are jsut now starting to become popular..and this is why lockers are one of the first items on a builders list for a cherokee.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:56 PM

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0L HO

Next time if your parking brake works put a few clicks on it... its a trick that works sometimes, if you give enough resistance to the free spinning tire it sometimes puts enough power to the tire with traction to get off. Don't try to long or two much throttle or you'll warp your drums.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

You said a guy came buy and pulled you out with a chain? Sorry, but just a word of advice I would rather get out and push the be pulled by a chain. Go to Walmart and get a 20' tow strap for $35 bucks. Chains have a tendency to break and seriously injure people. Just my 2cents...
Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM

I didn't even read the chain part.. NEVER use a chain
Old 10-31-2008, 07:35 PM

Missed that part too.... yeah.. Chain is a great way to hurt someone or seriously damage your vehicle... and never be afraid to duck... my brother almost died when a 30k rated warn shackle broke went through the back of the vehicle and embedded in the windshield a couple inches from his head...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Originally Posted by LimitedXJAddict
Missed that part too.... yeah.. Chain is a great way to hurt someone or seriously damage your vehicle... and never be afraid to duck... my brother almost died when a 30k rated warn shackle broke went through the back of the vehicle and embedded in the windshield a couple inches from his head...
Man that sounds like a good story, sorry to hyjack but but what made the shackle break? Jeep slipping, and caused a jerk in the line on a hill?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Used a tow chain many a time when stuck up just got to be carefull of how you use chains as a recovery tool.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Straps I carry three and added together I think I have 60 + feet. The only chain i ever use is the one that keeps my toolbox upright. Chains can be very dangerous.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988

i wish i still had pics of my 77 chevy with a smashed in tailgate that was from a chain because we had nothing else around. i have never used one since.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Did you ever get a good answer as to why Jeep never put a LSD or locker in the rear axle? Here it is "Money" it would cost Jeep to include it in a mall cruiser for the soccer mom. And most of the Cherokees were sold as a glorified station wagon, but we real Jeepers figured out how to use them to their full potential.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 AM

Good explanation Blue
Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

Blue I think you nailed it. We use our XJ's the way jeep did not intend them to be used. We just figured it out and now the aftermarket is there.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
Man that sounds like a good story, sorry to hyjack but but what made the shackle break? Jeep slipping, and caused a jerk in the line on a hill?
Well, he wasn't in his jeep at the time... He was in the most original wheeling rig I've ever seen... 70's chevy bread box van that the PO had put 1 ton axles front and rear (4wd front axle of course) and a divorce transfer case... 327 and a three on the tree... He had the van buried past the axles and had a K10 Blazer, an XJ, and wrecker trying to do recovery... They put the K10 and the XJ on after the wrecker driver went to pull him out and the wrecker rolled about half an inch backwards and then started standing up... wrecker driver didn't notice till his front end was a good 4 feet in the air... After they had all three vehicles on the van they broke a strap and a J hook before that shackle broke. They eventually got him out, but it wasn't till the next day. Mud is a very very fickle mistress, but SANDY, watery Mud just doesn't want to let go.

Quick Reply: This makes no sense (why no locker?)