Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Major whine when np231 engaged and trans in drive. help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Major whine when np231 engaged and trans in drive. help?

Man, I'm at a loss and need some troubleshooting advice. Here's the situation:

I put on my 3" lift last summer. Full springs/coils. I did a TC drop just for good measure. Everything was pretty close to perfect with the install. Tested it in 4wh drive then and it engaged fine, so I figured I was done.

This winter, tried to engage it into 4 HI for snow and something is majorly borked. I'm getting the most godawful squealing noise.

Here's what's happening:

NP231, Dana 30 front axle

Engine running, transmission in neutral. Can shift easily between 2wh, 4hi and 4low with no issues. No grinding. Seems fine.

From 4HI, put transmission into Drive or Reverse and immediately this squealing noise... not quite a grind, like gears missing, but a loud, hi-pitched whine that doesn't go away until I put the transmission back into park or neutral.

Interestingly, 4Low doesn't seem to do this, just 4Hi. But it happens every time now. Shifts fine until the transmission is engaged and then whines/squeals.

It's a brand new TC, too. Jeep has 60K miles on it, and it's my pavement princess so I don't 4wheel with it. I have my old beater for that... so the transfer case has almost no use, but I keep it clean and flush the fluid regularly, etc etc.

There has been nothing other than the lift kit install that has happened since I knew it last worked, but for the life of me I can't figure out WHY.

Any ideas? I've thought it might be the differential not binding, but the sound seems to be coming directly underneath me, which would be TC or transmission. I guess it might be linkage, but at surface view it looks fine and I'm not sure how to check it better.

Anyone have any starting points to help me diagnose? I'd really like to get this fixed, I hate knowing I messed it up and don't want it to get worse.

Thanks y'all
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o

Hello, put the jeep on a lift or jackstands, disconnect the t-case linkage at the t case. Have someone move the lever to 4h, from underneath move the selector on the t-case to 4h(verify operation) , now see how the linkage lines up....i think you will find it is out of adjustment due to the t-case drop. you will see an adjustment on the long rod..loosen bolt and slide to desired point and tighten.
Good luck!