Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LPG converted Cherokee jeep over-revving

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default LPG converted Cherokee jeep over-revving

I unfortunately purchased an LPG converted jeep in a quest to be more economical. All I have had is problems.... The car started revving as high as 3000 rpm whilst driving normally and has occasionally reached 4000rpm. It is automatic gearbox (don't think this makes much difference). Engine warning light is on and after having a friend look (wipe codes) and a local garage decided to take it to a 'Jeep' garage. This has proved costly and problem not sorted. They found problem with lambda sensors and replaced bank 1 sensor 2. They have informed me we could now replace another of the 3 sensors and problem would still be here. Getting gist? Then could replace 3rd and 4th sensors.... I love the car but really don't know what to do. (I new I should have bought another Mazda 323 Mark 2!!!)
Help needed, suggestions!? Has anybody experiences similar. Apparently car should never have been converted... not a good car to try and converted as commonly melt sensor.
Thanks for any help.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

bad regulator is all i can think of at the moment, really need a picture of your setup to what is in there. also what bloody year and model is it?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

you may want to consider informing the PCM that the thing doesn't use gasoline anymore...

lambda = o2, and is calibrated for use of gas go leene.... if'n that kit didn't provide sensors that are calibrated for propane, then it is trying to dump fuel to accomplish an expected reading.... check your short term fuel trim and your long term fuel trim... I wager they are HUGELY positive (above zero) which is what the PCM is doing to address the situation.... you want them 'crossing zero' as often as possible, with a STFT a single digit either direction (+/-) and the same with LTFT... I think mopar calibrations trip a CEL over 20% either way for more than a few windows of capture..... and in addition to propane o2 sensors, the pcm might be required to be adjusted, too.... feller by the name of Sean, and goes by the name of HemiFever (use google- he ain't a god, but he might be kin to one as he seems to be omnipotent) might be able to help you out with that one....