Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lower Shock Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Lower Shock Mount?

Hello everyone, new to the forums.

While doing a routine oil change on my 2001 XJ I noticed that the piece that my driver side lower shock and control arm mounts to is severely damaged. Is this part of the actual front axle? Or is it a piece that I can easily replace? This is my daily driver, so I need help ASAP. I went to the local mechanic and they said it appeared to be a piece that would have to be cut off and a new one welded on?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

that appears to be serious corrosion in a vital load bearing area, the spring pan is taking most of the road shock

from what I can see. the spring pan & shock mount would need to be cut from the axle housing and a new aftermarket item welded in, if it is available

if not, a junkyard axle housing or complete end to end unit would be most expedient

did the mechanic offer an opinion on whether you should be driving that?

the pics are not quite good enough to tell, but if that breaks while you are driving, it would not be pleasant
Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes, it is "part" of the front axle. That is those brackets are welded on. You can however purchase those parts from vendors that have builder parts and weld them in place
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000

Artec, Rusty's and Barnes make kits to fix that. I ended up using Barnes. Good product, good value.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awg
that appears to be serious corrosion in a vital load bearing area, the spring pan is taking most of the road shock

from what I can see. the spring pan & shock mount would need to be cut from the axle housing and a new aftermarket item welded in, if it is available

if not, a junkyard axle housing or complete end to end unit would be most expedient

did the mechanic offer an opinion on whether you should be driving that?

the pics are not quite good enough to tell, but if that breaks while you are driving, it would not be pleasant
Yeah, it's out of commission until I get it fixed.

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Yes, it is "part" of the front axle. That is those brackets are welded on. You can however purchase those parts from vendors that have builder parts and weld them in place
Can you get me a link? I'm not exactly sure what I'd be looking for. I found this a little after posting this question, but was told that it didn't look like the right piece by the mechanic.
https://thejeephut.com/coil-lca-comb...ec-industries/

Originally Posted by Dave51
Artec, Rusty's and Barnes make kits to fix that. I ended up using Barnes. Good product, good value.
Can you get me a link? I'm not exactly sure what I'd be looking for. I found this a little after posting this question, but was told that it didn't look like the right piece by the mechanic.
https://thejeephut.com/coil-lca-comb...ec-industries/
Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000

Here's a couple comments when I did the job, it's pretty straight forward.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...248588/index3/

I searched for one from the junkyard for a couple weeks without success. The problem with those national car part searches is that they don't update them so a lot of inquiries end up in dead ends. Then the one you find could be just as rusty. The big yard in PA had 3 listed but when I email inquired and asked if the perches were sound he says "you're not going to find one in the NE!" So I am like why are you advertising them as being in good condition if they're not? Also that was a short production. And since junkyard vehicles are often involved in front end collisions, the housing is often bent (the aftermarket companies sell a ton of axle truss strengthening kits. If axles bend easily when rock-crawling, you imagine what happens if they hit something at 60 miles an hour).