Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lower Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lower Radiator Hose

I noticed a small drip or two when I was finishing up the front diff gear oil replacement. I saw that it was dripping from the lower radiator hose. Its leaking where the hose connects to the water pump. I squeezed it and notice that the hose is really soft. I'm guessing that its time to replace the lower hose.

After I drain the radiator and then pull the lower radiator hose and replace it. What should I do? I was thinking that I should use some water and with the lower hose connected to the radiator. Start to fill the radiator with distilled water until it I can see liquid coming out the hose then attach it to the water pump. I remember some time ago, about 5 years ago when I replaced the radiator. I recall running the jeep in idle with the cap off adding alot of water thru the overfill bottle. Until it stops bubbling and you just see streams of water. Then I recall just capping the radiator closed and just checking the levels for the next 2-3 weeks. Am I missing anything here?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

On your system I would just replace the hose and refill the radiator,it will fill both sides,just make sure the overflow is about half full,warm it up and check it again after it cools off.