Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lower jeep...??? just to ask if it will work..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt
Default lower jeep...??? just to ask if it will work..

ok guys i know im about to get an ear full of crap but that's my goal with this jeep so if your going to talk then talk and get it all out cuz it isn't going to change my mind... hahaha

Anyways back to the subject.. i plan on dropping my jeep a bit to give a more aggressive looks as well as handling improvements on top of the great steering it already has.. not to mention its only a 2wd.. my plan since there's absolutely no kits on the market is to change the leafs springs in the back to leaf under and relocate the shock mounts and in the front i have two choices... find a spring that will fit or cut 2 coils and the heat the to sit flat like oem (cutting the top to stiffen it a lil bit.) the coils are the same spring rate since there's no difference in size of each coil... to help support the back depending on the ride quality i want to put air ride nothing special just something to keep it smooth if it drops down to much... i don't think i will have to get new track bars/stabilizers front and rear but thats just a thought maybe do.. if i missed anything that you guys can think of feel free to say... thank you all for putting in your in put to help me out.

Sorry for the short...

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 03-24-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

No flaming from me. I say do it. The XJ actually makes a sweet racer. Check out this thread, these guys did pretty much what you're talking about (cut down front coils);

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ja+racing+back
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

it would look good with wider tires, but it is kinda cool. But the rear spoiler sucks
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

If im not mistaken stock TJ coils will lower you about an inch. How far down do you wanna go. Do you have a 2 dr or 4dr. I ahve seen some cool looking street xjs out there so I say go for it who cares what anyone has to say about it. Its not their.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991 (2-door)
Engine: 4.0L
Before I was into wheeling I was into slammed mini trucks. Think the 2wd XJ would look sick bagged and a shaved body.
Theres gotta be a company that makes drop coils for the 2wd XJ. I would think anyways. Then you could do a spring under conversion in the back and that would drop the rear at least 3 inches.

Last edited by flexin91xj; 03-23-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Not sure about that flipping the leaf spring thing, guess you meant go from spring over to spring under. That will drop the rear roughly 4-5" which is a ton. It would prob be easier to just remove 1 or 2 leaves from the pack and then you don't have to relocate shock mounts and that would drop you about an inch or two. Eibach makes lowering springs for the front if you don't want to cut your old ones.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991 (2-door)

Here in Denver theres a company that de-arches leaf springs. When I had an S-10 back in the day, the company charged me 60 bucks to de-arch them and it dropped the rear about 2 inches. Im sure theres companies that do it else where.
Removing leaf springs from the pack will make it hella bouncy. Like those import cars with the way cheap drop kits. Lots of wheel hop as well. If youre going for handling then I would not remove leaf springs.

Last edited by flexin91xj; 03-23-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 AM

thank you guys....

The bagged idea was there but i dont know ive seen a couple and it doesnt look to bad but not my style... the leaf under seems to be the best way to go i think cuz when i get to it im buying new spring packs oem that way there as stiff as can be and still have the same ride quality as stock the front i plan on cutting if you can find the site that have those eibach springs let me kno i check there site they only have for GC and i dont know if that will swap..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brad M.
No flaming from me. I say do it. The XJ actually makes a sweet racer. Check out this thread, these guys did pretty much what you're talking about (cut down front coils);

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ja+racing+back
I am going for the street racer look but without all the ricer mods... keeping it clean and stealthy is the goal.. like Swells mention the wider tires that a deff. do. i dont know if to put 15x10 in the back and 15x8 in the front. or just go 15x8 all around..? Black rock series 942 type D steel with a 4.5 bs
Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

i wouldnt go too crazy... 15x10 is silly.

17" mustang and charger wheels look great on XJs.

one of my dream DDs is a lowered turbo MJ.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Year: 1995

Don't cut coils. You just end up with a shorter spring with the same spring rate, and that ruins handling and ride quality.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
i wouldnt go too crazy... 15x10 is silly.

17" mustang and charger wheels look great on XJs.

one of my dream DDs is a lowered turbo MJ.
yea i thoght the same with the 15x10 to much... i like the turbo mj sounds great. i plan on the smae with my xj but the stock 4.0 can only take so much so i think in time im goin to swap in a 2jz supra engine... unless i can find a way to make this 4.0 make some serious power.. which so far i dont think it can.. ive read all the threads i can find on turbo jeep and they all have small turbos for more low end torque and passing other cars on the highway.. but the dont make more than 275 hp.. i wanna break the 300 mark..
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by halmotors
Don't cut coils. You just end up with a shorter spring with the same spring rate, and that ruins handling and ride quality.
ok.. ive seen many answer to that dont cut dont heat and then theres the people that have never had a problem with cutting or heating.. depends on whos doing the job and how you approach it.. i figured id cut one or two coils then heat the cut coil to set flat on the perch...

trust me im trying to get it done right so im not bouncing down the road after hitting a rock... and wouldnt stiffer springs make handling better and i dont mind the stiffness i feel like i have a box sports car..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by halmotors
when you cut a coil you increase the rate.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
yea i thoght the same with the 15x10 to much... i like the turbo mj sounds great. i plan on the smae with my xj but the stock 4.0 can only take so much so i think in time im goin to swap in a 2jz supra engine... unless i can find a way to make this 4.0 make some serious power.. which so far i dont think it can.. ive read all the threads i can find on turbo jeep and they all have small turbos for more low end torque and passing other cars on the highway.. but the dont make more than 275 hp.. i wanna break the 300 mark..
Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
ok.. ive seen many answer to that dont cut dont heat and then theres the people that have never had a problem with cutting or heating.. depends on whos doing the job and how you approach it.. i figured id cut one or two coils then heat the cut coil to set flat on the perch...

trust me im trying to get it done right so im not bouncing down the road after hitting a rock... and wouldnt stiffer springs make handling better and i dont mind the stiffness i feel like i have a box sports car..
i'd honestly use stock TJ coils.. theyre a tad stiffer than XJ coils stock and will drop you .75-1".

for the back, i'm not so sure. losing leaves will kill your spring rate.

definitely invest in some quality shocks and some nice THICK swaybars and STURDY LINKS. 16 or 17 wheels with some wider sticky rubber will do a boatload of good, and some (maybe more than some) chassis stiffening will help too, and poly bushings in EVERYTHING. good motor/trans mounts as well.

as far as the motor, KEEP IT LIGHT. never seen a 2JZ in a jeep, but if you know what youre doing you can make anything work.

Quick Reply: lower jeep...??? just to ask if it will work..