Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Low voltage new alt good battery.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Low voltage new alt good battery.

So I just replaced my alternator w/ the 90amp alternator from advance auto parts because I was in a pinch since my jeep is my DD.

I had the battery/starter/alt tested at advance auto and it said my alternator was bad, which is why I bought a new one. It was installed end last week...

Fast forward to yesterday and today and my volt meter dropped to 9 after driving for a few mins and the check gauge light came on...so tonight I get a chance to go back to advance and have them run the test and the test showed my "battery getting drained because the alternator is getting no volts" per the guy there who was more interested in talking to his buddies. He said to check the cables going to the alternator and if it's still doing it after making the sure the cables are good, the new alternator is bad. I suck at anything electrical so any and all help would be awesome..

It's a 98 XJ 4.0 aw4

Attached is a picture of the test reading.
Attached Thumbnails Low voltage new alt good battery.-image.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO I-6

Well at the very least there is obviously no voltage to the alternator considering there was no ripple on the test.

To my understanding, the ripple should be consistent through the test. Check for loose connections at the alternator cause its getting no reading from the test...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 94HOCHEROKEE
Well at the very least there is obviously no voltage to the alternator considering there was no ripple on the test. To my understanding, the ripple should be consistent through the test. Check for loose connections at the alternator cause its getting no reading from the test...
Ok thank you. The guy who did the test didn't explain the bottom portion he just walked off and I never got a chance for an explanation.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

As everyone stated check the cables first.

Was it a "new" alternator or a "remanufactured" one?

If it was remanufactured there is a pretty good chance that it is bad. Most of the "Chain-Store" (Advance, Autozone, Pep-Boys, O'Rileys, etc.) are a real crap-shoot, most are remanufactured in China and quality is shoddy at best. Even a "new" off-brand alternator can be hit and miss but they are generally better than off-brand remans.

A new alternator, preferable from a major brand (Denso, Bosch, Delco/Remy, etc.) is recommended. Once actually remanufactured by Denso should be good too, but generally an OE reman'ed unit costs nearly as much as a new one.

I'd probably look for a 117A alternator too (they may have to look it up for a 99), it shouldn't cost much more and give you plenty of overhead on an XJ as long as you don't have a ton of electrical accessories, the 90A was just barely adequate for a stock XJ.

Last edited by dmill89; 08-07-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89
As everyone stated check the cables first.

Was it a "new" alternator or a "remanufactured" one?

If it was remanufactured there is a pretty good chance that it is bad. Most of the "Chain-Store" (Advance, Autozone, Pep-Boys, O'Rileys, etc.) are a real crap-shoot, most are remanufactured in China and quality is shoddy at best. Even a "new" off-brand alternator can be hit and miss but they are generally better than off-brand remans.

A new alternator, preferable from a major brand (Denso, Bosch, Delco/Remy, etc.) is recommended. Once actually remanufactured by Denso should be good too, but generally an OE reman'ed unit costs nearly as much as a new one.

I'd probably look for a 117A alternator too (they may have to look it up for a 99), it shouldn't cost much more and give you plenty of overhead on an XJ as long as you don't have a ton of electrical accessories, the 90A was just barely adequate for a stock XJ.
Its advance autos "driveworks" and it is a reman part #13341. I bought it because it's what I could afford at the time because I'm looking at getting a new XJ or a JKU in the next month or two. They have a 120 option but I thought the bracket would have to be modified and I had a shop put it in.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Update:
Went and got it replaced with a different alternator and all is well....so far...knock on wood. They were out of the driveworks which I was fine with and changed it to the ToughOne with the lifetime warranty. So hopefully this solves my problem and its not a wiring issue.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO I-6

Great news! Is the new "tough one" a 90 amp?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 94HOCHEROKEE
Great news! Is the new "tough one" a 90 amp?
Yes, all of the higher amp alternators had to be ordered in and I didn't have that kind of time since it's my DD