Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Low rough idle at start.and low oil pressure once at operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Low rough idle at start.and low oil pressure once at operating temp

I have a 1998 jeep chrokee classic and it has a harm time starting most the time you have to hold the gas to get it to start and also for it to run and after a couple seconds you can let off and it will idle ok for a few mins then I give it gas and once the rpms start going back down it acts like it wants to die...not to sure where to start I've been watching videos and searching forums and everyone seems to say something different.and also at start up i have around 40psi oil pressure and once it gets up to operating temp it drops down to about 10psi until you hit the throttle...if anyone could lend some advice I'd gladly appreciate it
Old 05-11-2019, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Has it had a tune up any time recently? Could be a few things related to ignition parts.

Could also be the idle air control valve. Pretty sure that's what its called. Mine was bad and I had those exact starting, idling, and running symptoms
Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 PM

Not that I know of

Last edited by Anthonyfid; 05-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
Has it had a tune up any time recently? Could be a few things related to ignition parts.

Could also be the idle air control valve. Pretty sure that's what its called. Mine was bad and I had those exact starting, idling, and running symptoms
Not that I know of I just bought it and the person didnt specify....but i have noticed I have some cracked vacuum lines...not to sure if that may contribute to the problem..I'd assume

Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

If a vehicle that starts ok, runs for a couple of minutes ok, but then suddenly starts degrading (stalling, stumbling, hesitating) these are the hallmarks of a failing/failed upstream O2 sensor. The computer does not use the sensor for the first minute or two during a cold start. But once the computer starts relying on it (after operating temperature gets high enough) the fuel trim calculations will start to get progressively worse (because the O2 sensor is feeding bad information to the computer).
Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Anthonyfid
Not that I know of
Originally Posted by jordan96xj
If a vehicle that starts ok, runs for a couple of minutes ok, but then suddenly starts degrading (stalling, stumbling, hesitating) these are the hallmarks of a failing/failed upstream O2 sensor. The computer does not use the sensor for the first minute or two during a cold start. But once the computer starts relying on it (after operating temperature gets high enough) the fuel trim calculations will start to get progressively worse (because the O2 sensor is feeding bad information to the computer).
I was thinking it could be the o2 sensor....so if the o2 sensor was going/is bad would it allow it to rev up fine but then when you let off throttle it wants to die?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

FKPF.

Fix Known Problems First.

You know you have cracked vacuum lines. That will cause you all manner of problems. Start there. Don't go spending money or time on this or that. Fix the known problems first. THEN look at other things.

With that oil pressure I'd do a compression test, too.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
FKPF.

Fix Known Problems First.

You know you have cracked vacuum lines. That will cause you all manner of problems. Start there. Don't go spending money or time on this or that. Fix the known problems first. THEN look at other things.

With that oil pressure I'd do a compression test, too.
That’s is very solid advice. I tend to follow this exact advice myself.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the advice i will be doing this sometime this week...and if anyone else had any insight I'd gladly appreciate it