Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lots of Tech Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lots of Tech Q's

Hi guys I am new to the forums.

I have a 1989 cherokee 4x4, its been in the family ever since i can remember. my dad gave it to me a year ago and i have been DDing it ever since. now its time to start upgrading. my friend and myself will be doing the work to it.

1 first off it needs a COMPLETE tune up. what do i need? just replaced the Orings on the fuel injectors. and the air filter. plan on doing plugs, plug wires, cap n rotter.

2 I have oil leaking into my air filter box. i have no clue why. guy at the auto part store said that oil in the air box could be a bad head gasket. how ever i have never heard of such thing.

3 buddy thinks i should replace ignition parts, such as distributor, and the part that sends the spark to the distributor. MSD or one of the cheaper off brands. thoughts?

4 i have the throttle body style fuel delivery, keep it? go carb? what are you guys doing?

5 Transfer case is locked up at the moment because my dad never used it. any suggestions on a quick fix to attempt before i pay someone to go into it.

have pics up in a little while.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

As far as a tune up Plugs,wires,cap,rotor,air filter,oil, oil filter,(read the fluid spec thread on filters), you could do injectors or just try some cleaner and save a buck and it might help out for awhile. I would just stay with the throttle body and not even worry about a carb to much work. The part in the dist. is a stator or also called a pick up. (standard is a really good brand for igni. parts) I would change the fluid in the t case. Define locked up on it
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

O and welcome to CF.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by thenorseman890
Hi guys I am new to the forums.

I have a 1989 cherokee 4x4, its been in the family ever since i can remember. my dad gave it to me a year ago and i have been DDing it ever since. now its time to start upgrading. my friend and myself will be doing the work to it.

1 first off it needs a COMPLETE tune up. what do i need? just replaced the Orings on the fuel injectors. and the air filter. plan on doing plugs, plug wires, cap n rotter.
A tune up typically includes plugs, wires, entire distributer system, air filter, PCV Valve (If your Cherokee has one). It would be wise to do these things.

2 I have oil leaking into my air filter box. i have no clue why. guy at the auto part store said that oil in the air box could be a bad head gasket. how ever i have never heard of such thing.
That's a good one. Check to see if you have a vacuum leak. This could be a head gasket or intake gasket. With the motor running, take the oil cap off and see if the motor bogs down or attempts to stall. If so, you've got a vacuum leak. I'm not 100% on this because I've never seen/heard of oil in on the air filter.

3 buddy thinks i should replace ignition parts, such as distributor, and the part that sends the spark to the distributor. MSD or one of the cheaper off brands. thoughts?
Yes. MSD is a good brand if you've got the money. You could stick with MOPAR or use Auto Zone/Advance Auto/NAPA specials. It's up to you.

4 i have the throttle body style fuel delivery, keep it? go carb? what are you guys doing?
Well you've got a couple of things going on here. If you go with a carb set up, you're going to need to replace the intake set up and you'll lose fuel injection. You get better gas mileage and better throttle response with a TB set up. One thing you could do is upgrade to a different style injector. Search "Fuel Injector Upgrade" or something close to that and you'll find all sorts of information on this subject.

5 Transfer case is locked up at the moment because my dad never used it. any suggestions on a quick fix to attempt before i pay someone to go into it.
Oh boy. Are you sure it's the Tcase or is the linkage stuck? Try to lubricate the linkage first and see if that helps. If it is the Tcase, you may need a new (used) one or a rebuild.

have pics up in a little while.
Good.

I hope this helps!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Your tune-up list is right on, leave the fuel inj/throttlebody alone it is a good system. As far as your t-case start lubricating the linkage....prob just seized from lack of use. Some oil in your airbox is fairly common (high mileage) what this is , is some combustion pressure is entering your crankcase and forcing crancase vapours out (blow by) If it is severe, it is time for a rebuild. Either way the old jeeps are tough and will run like that for years.
Good luck!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM

thanks for the quick replies, it got dark here tonight hopefully tomorrow we can start knocking down some of the things on that list. definately going to start with checking for a vacuum leak for the oil in the air box. i will also get under the truck and spray the Tcase linkage with PB blaster.

i forgot to mention. sometimes when i start up the jeep it will rev high (thinking about 3-3,500 rpm) for about 1 1/2 second and go down. should this be cause for concern or is it just going through its paces. i was asked if it was temperature specific and i'm not sure.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

One reason you get oil in your airbox is either your pcv needs replaced or if you have a jeep with no pcv alve you need to install one. There are a ton of writeups about older jeeps leaking oil into the airfilter box and it is a common problem. It is cause by the baffles located in the valve cover becoming blocked overtime and forcing the oil into the airbox.

There is nothing wrong with your jeep it just needs a pcv valve to quit doing that.

here read this about the oil in air filter

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257985

Last edited by Nor-CalJeeper; 04-10-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
One reason you get oil in your airbox is either your pcv needs replaced or if you have a jeep with no pcv alve you need to install one. There are a ton of writeups about older jeeps leaking oil into the airfilter box and it is a common problem. It is cause by the baffles located in the valve cover becoming blocked overtime and forcing the oil into the airbox.

There is nothing wrong with your jeep it just needs a pcv valve to quit doing that.

here read this about the oil in air filter

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257985
thanks for that info. i am having the same issue. off to the stealership on monday.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Not a prob glad I could help =)
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Get a PCV from orielly's. They are cheaper and made of metal. At least mine was. Mine had the oil in the airbox too. that fixed it.

Just got to the parts store and get a distributor cap and rotor. Cheap wires and cheap *** champion spark plugs. Mine had a bunch of expensive crap on it threw it out and this combo is great. I got the bottom dollar AC Delco wires, champoin plugs, and I spent a little extra for the brass distributor. I bought a little bit of that DiElectric Grease to put on everything. Your jeepster will love you for it.

X2 on the linkage. Give it a good inspection. It might need lubes, It might be bent or something, just check it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by thelaststarfighter13
Get a PCV from orielly's. They are cheaper and made of metal. At least mine was. Mine had the oil in the airbox too. that fixed it.

Just got to the parts store and get a distributor cap and rotor. Cheap wires and cheap *** champion spark plugs. Mine had a bunch of expensive crap on it threw it out and this combo is great. I got the bottom dollar AC Delco wires, champoin plugs, and I spent a little extra for the brass distributor. I bought a little bit of that DiElectric Grease to put on everything. Your jeepster will love you for it.

X2 on the linkage. Give it a good inspection. It might need lubes, It might be bent or something, just check it out.
x2 on the dielectric grease!! Also, thanks to those for the information on the oil in the airbox...I've never heard of that...
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 AM

yeah i got a big ol tube of dielectric grease, well my friend does. used it for water proofing his ford. so thanks for all of the advice going to get started in the morning.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

yeah, mine does it too. You can tell the oil is coming from the pcv elbow at the front of the valve cover. I have been told that this happens simply because overtime the thing gets clogged, and when it releases, it spits. So im gonna replace mine soon. Then a custom air intake
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Year: 1998

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]If you want everything for a tuneup in one package, at a good price, and good name brand stuff look at this:
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=137068

It a Truck Tune up Kit TST16 for 6 cyl Jeeps by Accel.

I got mine at the local Advance Auto for about that same money ( $50)
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

My tcase (transfer case) locked itsself in Neutral and I had to take it apart (not that hard) and clean it and put it back together.....if the shifter will not shift it may be the little spring inside the tcase that allows the shifter plat to move...hope this helps

Quick Reply: Lots of Tech Q's