Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lots of Questions, Too Many For A Title

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Lots of Questions, Too Many For A Title

I've got a 2000 XJ 4dr Sport with 105K miles. I plan on keeping it as long as I possibly can and I've always believed preventative maintenance is cheaper than repairs, with that in mind, here's what I've got...

I got an email from my local Jeep dealership for a free diagnostics test. It was a full vehicle inspection, fluids, etc. Everything. I decided what the heck, it's free, let's at least see what they have to say.

Keep in mind the Jeep drives great other than a slight stutter when I first start it every once in a while. It threw a code a couple weeks ago for a bad IAC Valve. I took it out and cleaned the throttle body and valve and the code went away. It still has a slight problem with the idle, but it's better than it was before I cleaned it. I'm just going to replace the IAC valve with a new one. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems at all. Which is why the stuff below makes me a little skeptical of my local Jeep dealership.

I took it in, and when I went to pick up, I got back a sheet with the following recommended services:

Front Brake Pads - $80 parts - $200 Labor
Resurface Rotors
Brake Quiet - $10
Rear Drum Brake Service - $12
Transmission Pan Reseal - $227
Valve Cover Gasket - $35
Front Main Seal - $15.75
Rear Main Seal - $39.85
Pinion Seal - $25.45
Air Filter (I plan on upgrading to a CIA anyway)
Power Steering Box - $357

Um... That's a lot of stuff. Brakes aren't a huge surprise, brakes always eventually need replacing. Also I know I can pick up the parts for a lot less online. I never see fluids in my driveway where I park, so I'm a little suspicious about the possibility of any leaks in the transmission pan or any of the other seals. I guess I have several questions.

1. Does this seem legit? Or just a dealership trying to make $$$
2. Are these problems I would notice under normal driving conditions or things I wouldn't know were wrong unless I was looking for them?
3. For the services that do seem like legit concerns, which would be the most pressing?
4. Are there any I can put off for a while?
5. If I'm replacing something, I'd rather spend a little more $$$ and just do upgrades. What are the areas I'd see the most improvement by investing in upgrades?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, I know it was a lot.

Last edited by RedStar; 03-06-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

They aren't called "stealerships" for nothing. There is no such thing as a free inspection and not finding something to try and sell you. That inspection is designed to bring in business for the service department and the sales department. "Gee, it looks like it will cost more to repair your Jeep than it's worth. We'll give you a good trade in for it and put you in a new car."
Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

$40 for RMS and $227 for trans pan. What?? Goofy
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Roomie went to get tire fixed on warranty, talked him into $400 frontend repair, TRE IIRC
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Loled at "transmission pan reseal." I'd drive that thing until the wheels fell off before I paid $200+ to replace a gasket.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

I would use it as a checklist to inspect everything. Basically inspect the brakes and look for moisture around the other listed parts.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
They aren't called "stealerships" for nothing. There is no such thing as a free inspection and not finding something to try and sell you. That inspection is designed to bring in business for the service department and the sales department. "Gee, it looks like it will cost more to repair your Jeep than it's worth. We'll give you a good trade in for it and put you in a new car."
I get that, honestly the only reason I did it was because I had a few concerns and I was wanting to see if they'd notice them. If they did, it would semi-confirm my suspicions about needing work, if they didn't, it would get me a little piece of mind.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Strange prices.

Keep in mind the dealer uses MOPAR parts when available. OEM stuff generally costs more than aftermarket.

If you look at what they are proposing to replace, versus the total labor cost as listed to replace everything, they are cheating themselves.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Strange prices. Keep in mind the dealer uses MOPAR parts when available. OEM stuff generally costs more than aftermarket. If you look at what they are proposing to replace, versus the total labor cost as listed to replace everything, they are cheating themselves.
The labor up top was only for the brakes. They didn't list labor for everything else. At over $100 an hour, I'm sure the total bill would be over $2000 hahaha.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I have found that "Some" things are cheaper to have done at a dealership than the garage down the block who may have never dealt with certain repairs before.

Sometimes knowing the correct way of removing and replacing an item can vary by many hrs. of work. Some shops tear off things that should have never even have been removed to repair another unrelated one. You pay for it all the time knowingly or not.

I've seen it happen all to many times or screw things up worst than they were in the beginning. There again some things I only take my GC to a dealership to have done on it, others a local shop where I have known the owner for a very long time and know his work.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I have found that "Some" things are cheaper to have done at a dealership than the garage down the block who may have never dealt with certain repairs before.

Sometimes knowing the correct way of removing and replacing an item can vary by many hrs. of work. Some shops tear off things that should have never even have been removed to repair another unrelated one. You pay for it all the time knowingly or not.

I've seen it happen all to many times or screw things up worst than they were in the beginning. There again some things I only take my GC to a dealership to have done on it, others a local shop where I have known the owner for a very long time and know his work.
This.

Anybody can hang a mechanic's shop sign outside. It doesn't mean they are competent. An independent mechanic isn't necessarily cheaper or better. I have had them screw up a lot of things.

A dealership has the money to fix something they screw up. They also have a reputation, and a Customer Service Index, to uphold.

I'm not saying a dealership is the right way to go for everyone. But there are worse things.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 AM

Indeed, the "Free Inspections" are specifically designed to generate business; either for the shop or the lot.

The thing I would question is the rear main seal. Is this truly a competent technician who knows without a doubt the rear main seal is leaking? Or, is it some junior guy who sees oil at the back of the engine and just says, "Rear Main Seal".

You actually did get something for nothing. Typically, a dealer will charge you $250 to just open the hood and look around. These are marketed as things like, "50,000 mile checkup".