Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lots of noise w/ 4wd engaged, plz help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default lots of noise w/ 4wd engaged, plz help!!

I just purchased a '98 cherokee sport. The front differential was extremely low on oil. Had the pinion seal replaced. the passenger side is leaking gear oil from behind the hub and bearing, which means both inner and outer axle seals are bad? I replaced all 3 u joints in the front drive shaft a couple days ago. Obviously I'm having some 4wd issues lol. There's a handfull of things I know of, but don't know if they're the root of the problem. For example: it has a hard time disengaging from 4wd which isn't unheard of. When I move the shifter to 2wd the wheels don't disengage, but if I push the shifter as if to go past 2h I can change some of the noise that's going on. If I leave it in 2h there's the clunk and I'm out (I prefer the reverse method). In 2h it is virtually noise free, but with 4wd engaged it makes all sorts of noise and it seems to pull to the right. It needs an alignment, but in 2h it'll go straight for a good stretch of road hands free. Can anybody point me in the right direction?