Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Duel Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Duel Exhaust questions

Could i duel my exhaust on my 97 XJ (3 inch lift)? I heard from one guy on here a long time ago that dueled exhaust on a JEEP means you cant go off-road. he didn't say why, but just curious if i duel it would it be fine to wheel it too? If i can i plan on putting a new stainless steel header, 2.5 inch piping and two flowmaster super 40's under there. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

i don't see why not. that's like saying a guy, or gal, can't run because they wear Pumas instead of New Balances. exhaust has no bearing in if it can be off roaded or not.

you'd have to figure out the route for the piping and hanger placement. just make sure the pipes don't actually touch the gas tank!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

It would be pointless. That would just be creating more back pressure than you need, as well as making it harder for the gasses to flow and escape by re routing them through a second tube/muffler. That causes loss in HP and Torque. Not to mention, it's an inline 6. Duals on anything besides a V type engine = ignorant. If anything, it would be more for aesthetics.

Last edited by Kmart164; 02-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

How would it create more back pressure? one pipe splits into two... each pipe gets half the pressure. That's not true dual exhaust though. only way to do that would be to have a 2 piece manifold and run a pipe off each one.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Kmart already hit it. The 4.0 is an inline six. Technically, you can't even set it up for TRUE dual exhaust (it is DUAL by the way, with an A) so it's absolutely pointless. Besides, good luck finding a place to route it in the already minimal space of the XJ undercarriage.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

well they make 2 piece manifolds..............I've seen duAl exhaust on a few jeeps here in town. not trying to start an argument, just asking if it can be done (pros, cons) GEEZ.......
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

my old jeep

Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rweaver138
what was your setup?

one muffler with one inlet and dual outlets or two mufflers?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 PM

it can be done, wither or not it is worthwhile doing is a different story. on the passenger side, you basically have everything set to make that side work, the driver side, you'd have to find a good way to route the pipes and placement of a hanger.

also, i'm not thinking you'd have problems with back pressure. because it is an I6, or I4 depending, and getting these things over 300 horses without going ape-squat on the motor is hard to do (unless you have it sent out to become a stroker), there is very little pressure build up. but if you plan on throwing a blown V8 of some type in there, then you'd cross pipe it to balance the pressure. since you are coming off one manifold, the pressure will not get jacked up as it goes through your system. gas, just like water and hydraulic fluid and electricity, is going to follow the path of least resistance. going dual on your exhaust is not going to mess up your pressure in the system; one way or another it will exit the system efficiently.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DagBMX
it can be done, wither or not it is worthwhile doing is a different story. on the passenger side, you basically have everything set to make that side work, the driver side, you'd have to find a good way to route the pipes and placement of a hanger.

also, i'm not thinking you'd have problems with back pressure. because it is an I6, or I4 depending, and getting these things over 300 horses without going ape-squat on the motor is hard to do (unless you have it sent out to become a stroker), there is very little pressure build up. but if you plan on throwing a blown V8 of some type in there, then you'd cross pipe it to balance the pressure. since you are coming off one manifold, the pressure will not get jacked up as it goes through your system. gas, just like water and hydraulic fluid and electricity, is going to follow the path of least resistance. going dual on your exhaust is not going to mess up your pressure in the system; one way or another it will exit the system efficiently.
its kind of hard to make a decision when i have you giving useful information then kmart giving info opposite of what your saying. My dad is a mechanic and said basically the same thing you did.....would it be better to run two mufflers or one muffler with one inlet and dual outlet?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Metlic53
well they make 2 piece manifolds..............I've seen duAl exhaust on a few jeeps here in town. not trying to start an argument, just asking if it can be done (pros, cons) GEEZ.......
Yeah it can be done, but there is no real performance gain. It'd be more of a cosmetic thing. If you want duals on the I6, just use a single inlet, dual outlet muffler and run it from the muffler back. You get the look of duals without two cats, etc. That's the way a lot of factory set-ups including Firebirds and Camaros did it.

Still not worth the time, effort, and money to make it work though if you ask me. The I6 does just fine with a properly set up single exhaust system.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 PM

its kind of hard to make a decision when i have you giving useful information then kmart giving info opposite of what your saying. My dad is a mechanic and said basically the same thing you did.....would it be better to run two mufflers or one muffler with one inlet and dual outlet?
you'd be better off doing a dual outlet. and just like Brad M. said, it really doesn't give you much of a gain in power, but more cosmetic. you could drop the extra coin on the extra muffler and pipe, but at the same time because you are coming off one manifold, running two mufflers isn't going to give you much more of a characteristic sound. if anything, it will probably deaden the sound. if you want to keep a rather rich sound, do one muffler with dual outlet.

or you could always side exit the exhaust, lol
Old 02-27-2010, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

you'd be better off doing a dual outlet. and just like Brad M. said, it really doesn't give you much of a gain in power, but more cosmetic. you could drop the extra coin on the extra muffler and pipe, but at the same time because you are coming off one manifold, running two mufflers isn't going to give you much more of a characteristic sound. if anything, it will probably deaden the sound. if you want to keep a rather rich sound, do one muffler with dual outlet.

or you could always side exit the exhaust, lol
what would side exiting the exhaust do? i dont know if thats legal here...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

hit the nail on the head!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Member

what would side exiting the exhaust do? i dont know if thats legal here...
It should be legal. And all's it would would do would be to eliminate the excess pipe and bends needed for goin over the axle. So to speak, faster exhaust exit, gasses moving faster, = better for your motor. the better your engine can breathe, the happier it will be.

Quick Reply: Duel Exhaust questions