Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

losing my mind on a hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999 Sport Road Rash Monstaliner
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Angry losing my mind on a hitch

I picked up a hitch from Uhaul last week (#75054) and was going to have them install it. Turns out they couldn't because of this nutstrip in the passenger side frame that was bent all to hell; not to mention rusty. They said I needed to go to the dealer for this one. Not going to happen.

I couldn't get to it to see what was going on so I took apart the rear bumper (a REAL bear since just about every bolt broke off). Now that I can see it it doesn't look too bad; and by that I mean it is still intact, but I can't thread the bolts that came with the hitch because the nuts on the strip are - surprise, surprise - rusted.

So, after throwing about every tool within arms reach, I need to locate a tap and I have a couple of questions before I throw some more. What size do I need for those nuts? More importantly, Should I just remove this piece of *** and use the blocks? If I go that direction, how do I remove it? I tried prying it out with vice grips but it's being held in there from what feels like behind where the exhaust hanger bolts to. Finally, Can I install the hitch before reinstalling the bumper or will I run into more trouble?

I'm so sick of this install. It should have taken an hour or 2. I'm on number 8

Last edited by terzdesign; 05-27-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

You can get nut strips from JCR Offroad, they use 1/2 nuts I believe. Better and safer alternative than dealing with old rusted out crap imo.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some new nut strips from jcr. I'm assuming all the vehicles in your area are rusty. I went to a scrap yard to get my nut strips and they were $2.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a hitch on my 2000 a couple months ago. You must remove both exhaust hanger bolts in order to remove the nutstrip. Mine was rusted and got all bent to hell and it took me a while to get it out of the frame rail. I used vice grips to pull it out and removal of the rear bumper was required. My new hitch came with bolts and large square plates that take the place of the factory nutstrip. Here's a very informative video about the install. I highly recommend etrailer also as I received my hitch in one day for a great price. Good luck

Last edited by rnmcguire; 05-27-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If it weren't for shipping I have an almost new Class III Hitch and a set of new nut strips to go with it I would have made a deal on, Oh Well!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

JCR is not the end all on nutstrips... they are $50 shipped... but others sell for $40 shipped just FYI
Old 05-28-2014, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
You can get nut strips from JCR Offroad, they use 1/2 nuts I believe. Better and safer alternative than dealing with old rusted out crap imo.
Originally Posted by mr white
Get some new nut strips from jcr. I'm assuming all the vehicles in your area are rusty. I went to a scrap yard to get my nut strips and they were $2.
This and this. There is also likely the exhaust shield for the gas tank bolted in there as well. Even with the new nut strips, you may find you (or the mechanic) will have difficult in installing to get the bolts and holes all lined up. I used a screwdriver to hold the nut strips in place while I threaded a bolt on, and then used that to thread the other one. It's important that you don't tighten down one bolt first, or it will bend the nut strip upward and make getting the other bolts threaded in a big headache.