Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loose throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Loose throttle cable

I have a 2001 xj with 4.0. I have been having first gear transmission issues (A jolt going into first gear and a jolt when coming to a stop). I was told to look at the Throttle cables, and here's what I came up with. The Three cables on the front of the throttle body are what I'm referring to. The first closest to the front and shortest cable has minimal to no slack. The middle cable is the cable I have found slack in. The last cable (towards the rear) is tight and has no slack, so is this middle cable possibly my problem? can it be adjusted? if so how? does it need changed? I could use some advice, I don't know too much about this type of stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Year: 2001

I have an 01 and if i remember correctly thats the cruise control and mine is also kinda loose. You have something else going on. Is there a noise when you put it into gear?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The only cable of the three to affect the transmission is the TV (throttle valve) cable. It looks like the image below.
To adjust it, press in the tab (release button), then push the cable fully back (retracted) in the sleeve, then press your accelerator to the floor. The cable will ratchet out to the correct position
Some rotate the throttle butterfly fully open instead of using the accelerator.

Unlikely that's the cause, but worth a shot.
Is your slip yoke sticking? If that's stuck it'll feel like you've been rear-ended when you stop. A good greasing seems to help.

Trans fluid level OK? How does it shift if you unplug the TCU and shift manually?
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Sounds more like driveline issue for sure. U joint in the DS is always suspect. What about the output shaft on the back of the transfer case where the boot is. If that gets dry, it can create play and the same issue that you're referring to..
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Taking off from a stop is when I experience this jolt. I also experience it right before coming to a stop. It basically jolts to a stop. This does not happen every time I step on the gas or break pedal, just some times. It does not seem to matter whether its cold or hot, it just happens randomly. I have not tried to shift through the gears manually, so i will try that and see what happens. I will check out the other possible suspects as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked your tranny mount?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

^ and also check your brakes.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
^ and also check your brakes.
x2. There could be something in the rear brakes that is either binding or causing some sort of clunky hesitation thing. I know that the rear brakes on mine can get a little funky when wet and get extra grabby... Other than that, I definitely agree with checking all of the mounts to make sure that there is no potential play and that something isn't shifting around. Have you checked to see that the exhaust isn't hitting on anything like the cross member?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:09 PM

What I've noticed since I posted- The jolt only happens from a hard takeoff and a more abrupt stop. If I slowly speed up or slowly speed down it does not seem to happen. I tried shifting manually into the 1-2 spot on the shifter instead of Over drive and it will not shift into second in this position which is what I suspect its supposed to do. In normal overdrive mode it shifts into second at about 2100 no problem. I have not checked the mounts yet, so I will tomorrow. Any of this info help?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 AM

I'm also beginning to think the slip yoke is gonna need a good greasin' tomorrow, hopefully its not complicated, it doesn't sound complicated, but easier said than done.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Nope, pretty easy to do (I don't think we have different transfer cases). Once you're underneath, look at the output tail housing of the transfer case. Theres a large CV-looking black rubber boot. The rear of it should have some metal strap on it if nobody messed with it before, or maybe a zip tie. Snip that so the boot is loose and go to the other end of the drive shaft. Remove the 4 bolts that hold down the little brackets keeping the U-joint in the yoke on the axle. With those out the driveshaft will pivot down and you can just pull the thing out ofte transfer case by yanking towards the back of the Jeep. It should be pretty obvious why these things suck so bad lol. Clean and repack the slip yoke full of grease, slap it all back together, and secure that boot again with a zip tie. While you're at it you can check the U-joints for play as well as the rear yoke into te differential.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Nice, I'm going to give that a try and check the u joints too. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Yesssss!! Greased the U joints (damn U joints didn't have any zerks) and slip yoke and there is no more jolting. Thanks for the help guys, I HIGHLY appreciate it.