Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

loose steering tilt .. 90 xj .. what happens when it comes all the way loose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default loose steering tilt .. 90 xj .. what happens when it comes all the way loose?

so, read alot of tech on this problem, the loose tilt bolts, up/down play in steering ... no time to fix it right now ........ mine started to feel loose a few days ago, now its definatly loose.

anyways, what happens when it comes all the way loose??

steering wheel/column falls off ?? no steering ?? or will it just be super wobbly ?

jeeps holding me back from fishing today .. worried about getting on highway & the rough road to the lake ... can just imagine the bumpy road loosening it more
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

The wheel will not come off. It will become extremely wobbly and almost impossible to steer with.

Have it corrected NOW before THAT happens as the mountings are aluminum and the hardware is steel. The bolts can and mostlikely will destroy the threads when they to the top 2 threads before coming completely out.

IF you are not mechanically-inclined, I would suggest having a reputable mechanic (or one you "trust") to make this repair.

I have done this to several vehicles (I am including all the GM's as it is the same column) It is not at all "easy" but can be done in an afternoon with the proper tools.
Two of the tools that not everyone will have but are required:
steering wheel puller
Lock-plate retaining ring remover

BOTH of which can be "rented" at any auto parts store that have a loaner-tool program

ONE item you will need that will very quickly get used up--->patience.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

so, I removed the smaller column cover in front of signal switch to see if I could get to any of these mentioned bolts ... i could see one , but unreachable. definatly looks a bit loose (a cpl mm's if that), but not free-floating

in the process of removing that cover, i got my 1st lesson on high beam switch .. that plastic part fell out (pushes hi-beam rod forward), took a few minutes to figure it out, but got it back together.

will I be messing with that again ? since "huntingman2706217" in his repair guide thread, removes the signal .. or will that signal switch housing stay together ?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/loose-steering-column-repair-feels-like-tilt-broke-13641/

it doesnt look that hard. a bit intricate.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Mine loosen up to the point that it would flop side to side,but it never fell off or came close,the bolts hold the knuckle together not the colum. i replaced my entire colum from steering wheel to box,with one from the junkyard,it cost me $45 and about an hours worth my time.