Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking at buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and noticed a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking at buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and noticed a problem

So I've been looking at this 2000 Jeep Cherokee for a while and am interested in purchasing it. It has 76k miles and is completely stock. When I went and test drove it today everything seemed to work fine except for a few things. The owner told me it needed a fuel pump because it took 2-3 turns to start up the jeep, which I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump but not 100%. Secondly, the only other problem I noticed, and the one that scares me the most is when we were testing out the 4wd, everything worked fine in 4hi but when we switched it to 4lo we had a difficult time getting it to lock in at 4lo and when we finally did it seemed like it was slipping for like 3 or 5 seconds and than would kick into 4lo. Any suggestions? Should I stay away from this jeep?

Also... Noticed when I shifted from Park to reverse there was a big thump and jerked the jeep a little, than from reverse to drive it did the same thing? Anyway this is connected to the problem above?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

The 4lo sounds like the linkage is just not set right. Easy to adjust

As far as the drive-reverse it's just the power of a 4.0... lol
If it makes a loud bang sound most likely your u-joint is shot... could be gears. But if it was gears you would hear them whine while driving.
If it just barely moves it's just the jeep nothing to worry about
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Could of just been because it has not been engaged in 4lo for a very long time! When i first got mine it took a couple of times to get it to work perfect and now i never had a problem. The guy that sold it to me said he never put it in 4lo.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I see the guy I'm buying it from said he only put it in 4lo like one time, any other time just put it in 4hi, so you guys don't think its a big problem. Because I don't want to be replacing the tranny in a couple months ha.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by djchach
So I've been looking at this 2000 Jeep Cherokee for a while and am interested in purchasing it. It has 76k miles and is completely stock. When I went and test drove it today everything seemed to work fine except for a few things. The owner told me it needed a fuel pump because it took 2-3 turns to start up the jeep, which I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump but not 100%. Secondly, the only other problem I noticed, and the one that scares me the most is when we were testing out the 4wd, everything worked fine in 4hi but when we switched it to 4lo we had a difficult time getting it to lock in at 4lo and when we finally did it seemed like it was slipping for like 3 or 5 seconds and than would kick into 4lo. Any suggestions? Should I stay away from this jeep?

Also... Noticed when I shifted from Park to reverse there was a big thump and jerked the jeep a little, than from reverse to drive it did the same thing? Anyway this is connected to the problem above?
Sounds like some easy fixes that can be used as price droppers. Tell the guy its a piece of crap and take him down on the price.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Originally Posted by djchach
I see the guy I'm buying it from said he only put it in 4lo like one time, any other time just put it in 4hi, so you guys don't think its a big problem. Because I don't want to be replacing the tranny in a couple months ha.

4 wheel drive is taken care of by a transfer case, not the transmission. Its a 99% chance that the linkage is too long, which is a 4 minute fix with an adjustable wrench.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Iant333
4 wheel drive is taken care of by a transfer case, not the transmission. Its a 99% chance that the linkage is too long, which is a 4 minute fix with an adjustable wrench.
Yes, but when I do finally get it locked into 4lo and try to take off it seems like it slips for a little while.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM

care to elaborate on the adjusting or do you have a link with instructions.. mine does this aswell..
thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i know this is a pretty noob mistake but did you put the transmission in nutural before ****ing the transfercase into 4 lo?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes I did. We came to a complete stop, put the transmission in N and tried to go down to 4lo and had a difficult time locking it in, and when we did get it locked it, it seemed like it slipped a little before it caught.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

If you crawl underneath you will see the linkage on the drivers side. There will be a small bolt on a long rod which you can loosen and move forward or backward slightly to adjust. Do it in increments so you don't throw it way out of wack. Tighten it back up and check it.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

If you crawl underneath you will see the linkage on the drivers side. There will be a small bolt on a long rod which you can loosen and move forward or backward slightly to adjust. Do it in increments so you don't throw it way out of wack. Tighten it back up and check it.
good advice, id check the linkage as well. also chances are the fluids have never been changed the tcase wouldnt hurt changing that
Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

One thing that I think it may be is the fluids might have not been changed and kept up with for a while even though he said he did. He wanted $6,500 for the Jeep, but I offered him $5,700 with these known problems to the Jeep. I'm very intersted in the jeep but am scared out of my mind with the 4lo situation because I don't want it to be a tranny problem. If the guy comes down to $5,700 I will more than likely take it into the dealer and pay to have them check it over completely just for the peace of mind and have the owner split the cost with me. I hope everything works out fine because I really want this jeep.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

$5700 and its STOCK? Where do you live?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM

South Dakota, why? I think thats a pretty good deal with the miles.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and noticed a problem