Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking to buy a Jeep, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Looking to buy a Jeep, need advise.

I'm going to be buying my first car in the next few weeks and the main option I'm considering is a Cherokee. I have a few questions about what to look for when buying one, I've been doing a lot of research and I pretty much know what I'm looking for but theres a few questions I still have. Right now I'm looking at a '92 with 160,000 miles for $1350, it's in pretty good condition but it's leaking power steering fluid. I know that fluid leaks are kind of a common problem with cherokees and I'm wondering how often something like that would occur and how much it would cost to fix. I've also been told that it's better to get one without power windows because they sometimes have electrical problems and I'm wondering how much truth there is to that. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by thaclav
I'm going to be buying my first car in the next few weeks and the main option I'm considering is a Cherokee. I have a few questions about what to look for when buying one, I've been doing a lot of research and I pretty much know what I'm looking for but theres a few questions I still have. Right now I'm looking at a '92 with 160,000 miles for $1350, it's in pretty good condition but it's leaking power steering fluid. I know that fluid leaks are kind of a common problem with cherokees and I'm wondering how often something like that would occur and how much it would cost to fix. I've also been told that it's better to get one without power windows because they sometimes have electrical problems and I'm wondering how much truth there is to that. Thanks for the help.
It depends on where it's leaking. Most power steering leaks are easy to fix. If it's the box leaking, you can have it rebuilt or get a re manufactured box. They go for around $100-$150. I wouldn't worry about the power windows. Most of the problems with them comes from the "window lock", which is easily repaired in about 30 minutes by taking off the door panel and connecting two wires. There's a write-up but i can't seem to find it.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

good info here, im definitly taking notes
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by muddeprived
It depends on where it's leaking. Most power steering leaks are easy to fix. If it's the box leaking, you can have it rebuilt or get a re manufactured box. They go for around $100-$150. I wouldn't worry about the power windows. Most of the problems with them comes from the "window lock", which is easily repaired in about 30 minutes by taking off the door panel and connecting two wires. There's a write-up but i can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the help. I also have a few friends who work on cars and would be willing to fix the power steering leak for me. One thing I'm worried about is that the '92 jeeps don't have airbags, is this a real big concern or anything? I mean I dont plan on crashing it but just in case...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Year: 1998

I wouldnt worry about the airbags, your insurance might be a little higher because you dont have them, but its a lot better than gettin it blown when your rock crawling and you hit the front bumper in the right spot, trust me. for street purposes as long as you always wear your seatbelt I wouldnt worry about it