Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Long Crank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Long Crank Issue

Well I am working of fixing up a 89 Jeep Cherokee.

I am having some long crank issues with starting the Jeep. I timed my start times and it takes around 2.5 seconds on average to start Jeep, 4.0L I6. Now I know many will say fuel pump and the valve but I have just replaced mine as I had a fuel pressure issue.

The starting has gotten much better but still has a bit of a long start, as before the fuel pump was replaced it would crank on average 4.7 seconds I actually used a stop watch.

Now my Jeep run even better but I want to clear up this starting issue. Someone that is a mechanic that I kind of know thinks it could be the IAC but he has not checked it, he was at a store just getting out of his car when I was starting the Jeep he works at the shop I take my cars to occasionally anyway he thought that is what it was as he has had Jeeps with those issues in the shop before.

Now the IAC was something I was planning to replace anyway as my idle is all over the place, though I am working on some vacuum issues now and will fix those before replacing my IAC.

Now I have replaced my negative battery cable and a ground wire but could my positive battery cable be shot? I had a problem with the cable and planned to replace but parts store gave me the wrong cable so I just replaced the connector to the battery.

Also, before I forget I have also done a complete tune up also along with replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, and negative battery cable.

Thank you for everyones help in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

You may need to Check/replace your CPS http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoCPSchange.htm There is a way to test the CPS but I forget the way to do it...Tj
Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the posts...I have a similar issue...was considering replacing the fuel pump. But I only have the problem from a cold start. Usually, it takes 4-6 seconds to start on the first crank, but will start right up on the seconds crank.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the responses. I just really want to get this thing figured out. Once I am done taking care of all things related to the vacuum I will move on to the idle and see if the IAC needs to be fixed.

By idleing all over the place I mean that while warm there are times it will idle at 750 RPM in gear as I have been told it should do but other times it will not. I could be driving it and come to some stop lights if there are 4 different stop lights it will idle at 4 different speeds once I come to a stop and wait at the light. The same hold true if I stop somewhere and put into park I could stop it and it may just idle at 4 different speeds for everytime I park the vehicle and leave it idleing.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by jason96r
Thank you for the responses. I just really want to get this thing figured out. Once I am done taking care of all things related to the vacuum I will move on to the idle and see if the IAC needs to be fixed.

By idleing all over the place I mean that while warm there are times it will idle at 750 RPM in gear as I have been told it should do but other times it will not. I could be driving it and come to some stop lights if there are 4 different stop lights it will idle at 4 different speeds once I come to a stop and wait at the light. The same hold true if I stop somewhere and put into park I could stop it and it may just idle at 4 different speeds for everytime I park the vehicle and leave it idleing.
OK I must have misunderstood your first post. It cant be the CPS if just the idle is not correct I would clen the IAC and throttle body out and check for vacuum leaks first...Tj
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Ok thank you for your update. I've done the throttle body cleaning and now I'm on to fixing the vacuum leak problems. The vacuum would be fixed if I was sent the CORRECT parts.

I do have a long crank problem also so that mechanic guy I kind of know is right with the IAC giving me problems?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Around 2.5 seconds is actually pretty quick for a renix motor.
Its not made to start right up, like a chrysler injected engine.
A renix engine must find #1 TDC and hit 300 rpm before it will send fuel and spark.
Mine usually takes about 5 seconds to start.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Hmmm that is good to know. So I fix the vacuum problems and replace the IAC and I should be good to go.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, Ill take a video later, just to reassure you and because I like making videos...

lol
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM

The 300 RPM thing is interesting because I was going to mention that when I turn the igntion to on I never hear the fuel pump buzzing or making any kind of noise. So I guess these Renix engines are just a different breed. I love my Jeep though and literally find any reason to drive around. I have only had it about a month though.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

The fastest its started in a while...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I found that mine was taking awhile to start when raining or humid. I found the problem while replacing motor mounts. The wires to the sensor in the dist. were rubbing on my pass. side motor mount and grounding out...... worth a look.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I like it in the dirt

Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

They always take awhile to start. Its just the way they are. If you dont have any running/driving issues I would not worry, if it starts to take longer than 4.5 seconds than I would look into the battery first, then start looking at clogged injectors, dirty TB , then look at sensors. Always start cheap first. General rule of thumb.
1. Free stuff.
2. Cheap stuff
3. expensive stuff.
I hate step three.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the help looks like my "problem" is not a problem at all. Well I will check the vacuum lines and once I finally get the correct vacuum reservoir in I will replace that then the IAC and should be good to go for awhile.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Year: 1989

yeah, 3 seconds for me hot or cold. no problems I could find, I finally said its normal, and got used to it.