Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Long Arms or Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
fmf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Long Arms or Bilsteins?

So I was planning on puttiln long arms on my xj to get a better ride and flex but I was also reading that Bilsteins or other high end shocks really make a difference with ride. Which one will make the ride smoother? I'm assuming the shocks but I figured I'd ask.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
fmf

Year: 1990

Also what length shocks would I need for the front and rear? I have a 4" lift but might take it up to 6"
Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

New shocks will contribute to a better ride on the road, and you can only flex as much as your shocks will let you. So if you can max out your shock without the suspension binding, you will need a longer shock for more flex. Long arms will only give you more flex if you get a shock with more travel.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

another cheap alternative would be drop brackets to get the control arms closer to stock angles. Idk if they yours are that bad but dont expect a lifted jeep to drive like a caddy
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

ya but longarms will improve the ride WAYYYY more than new shocks
and provide more flex. true shocks CAN act like a limiting strap, but at that amount of flex, youll stretch/tear a brake line before you reach your shock limit.
besides shocks arent that tough, they'll give at some point, ask me how i know (check my build thread, i popped the eye right off my shock hehe)

i vote longarms, youll be alot happier i the long run....
oh and look here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tru...ng-arms-40199/

LOTS of good info

Last edited by tannerp89; 06-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you have the money for a long arm then I would go for it. The only issue is as stated above, you will want new longer shocks for the long arms to flex more. If you plan on going to 6" I would get long arms. I am at 6"s with short arms and it's stiff as hell, doesn't bother me but I know the ride would be a lot better with long arms.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by tannerp89
ya but longarms will improve the ride WAYYYY more than new shocks
and provide more flex. true shocks are a limiting strap, but at that amount of flex, youll stretch/tear a brake line before you reach your shock limit.
besides shocks arent that tough, they'll give at some point, ask me how i know (check my build thread, i popped the eye right off my shock hehe)

i vote longarms, youll be alot happier i the long run....
oh and look here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tru...ng-arms-40199/

LOTS of good info
I agree that LA will improve vehicle ride. the comment about shocks being limiting straps is not correct. ALL shocks. high end and even low end shocks, are NOT meant as limiting straps. you WILL destroy you shocks by bottoming them out and over extending them over and over again.

regarding what length. do not trust what ever the manufactor tells you will work wit your lift. flex it out and measure your compressed and extended lengths!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

i never said they are MEANT as a limiting strap, obviously you shouldnt over extend your shocks, like DUH.
and hes right about measuring for shocks first, i wish mine were longer, but went with the shocks that came with the kit. im on short arms tho so...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered Users

true shocks are a limiting strap, but at that amount of flex, youll stretch/tear a brake line before you reach your shock limit.
then why did you say this? just copying what you typed. dont want to lead someone on thinking their shocks are limiting straps just like you said.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
then why did you say this? just copying what you typed. dont want to lead someone on thinking their shocks are limiting straps just like you said.
i apologize for making the assumption that everyone has some common sense, obviously i'm mistaken.
why anyone would think your SUPPOSED to use a shock as limiting strap is beyond me, i was simply stating that they CAN and DO act as a limiting strap.
move along....
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered Users

i apologize for making the assumption that everyone has some common sense, obviously i'm mistaken.
why anyone would think your SUPPOSED to use a shock as limiting strap is beyond me, i was simply stating that they CAN and DO act as a limiting strap.
move along....
lol wow. Again NO and they CANT be use as limiting straps. you WILL destroy them. lol
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

DID YOU READ THE REST OF MY POST
no **** you'll destroy them, look in my build thread, been there done that....
like i said, i wish i had longer shocks, cause mine act as limiting straps
and nowhere in there did i state you SHOULD or CAN use shocks as a limiting strap
i was simply refering to the fact that too short of shocks CAN and DO act as limiting straps
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered Users

true shocks are a limiting strap, but at that amount of flex, youll stretch/tear a brake line before you reach your shock limit.
you said this ^. dont offer advice if you dont know what you are talking about.

dont want to lead someone and them destroy their shock because you said the above
Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

it wasnt advice, it was a statement.
im done with you
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 83 CJ7 & '96 XJ & '97 XJ
Engine: 258ci, 4.0 & 4.0

it wasnt advice, it was a statement.
im done with you
Wow, I got it! I was laughing the first time you said it, I was thinking back when one of my shocks on my CJ-7 became a limiting strap, it pulled the top mount out of the frame.
I also broke a mount on a 65 Scout back in the late 70's when a shock compressed all the but there was still wheel travel to be had, so the Scout was standing on the shock!

Quick Reply: Long Arms or Bilsteins?