Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
View Poll Results: Would you put a locker in front or rear axle?
Front
29.55%
Rear
70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Lockers in front or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Lockers in front or rear?

While wheeling yesterday on some nice slick rock, I couldn't help but think how much a set of lockers would help hook up. Obviously installing lockers in both axles would be the best thing to do, but being on a limited budget, that's not gonna happen for a while.

So, if you could put a locking dif in the front or rear axle, which one would you do?

Last edited by rivercrazy; 11-23-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Rear,my reason is because I use mine for getting around to my hunting and fishing spots,not serious off roading. My truck has a locker in the front and the rear went out,I wish it was the other way around,even if I did use it for off roading.
I do not like lockers in the front because of the steering issues in snow and ice,I just lock one hub in on my truck when I am on the pavement.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

If I could afford lockers I would go for the rear first. Sand is my source of off road so I think the rear would be more beneficial.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

I would do front, because the whole point of a locker is you can unlock it. front has most weight so most potential for traction. And timberline, what are you doing in 4x4 on pavement? and in snow you nedd feel for the road so keep it in 2 till you stuck, and then only use 4 to gain momentum. so front.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

nice poll. i am debating the same thing. i am leaning towards front. i feel tha the front being locked will help get me up obstacles as well as help pull on hillclimbs and big rocks. mines a daily driver and we get a decent amount of snow so i am getting a selectable locker for sure. my friend is locked just in the rear and he hates it.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I like it in the dirt

I think people need education on the difference between a locker and a spool. A spool is always locked. Period. A locker can be turned off and makes your diff open again.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing
I would do front, because the whole point of a locker is you can unlock it. front has most weight so most potential for traction. And timberline, what are you doing in 4x4 on pavement? and in snow you nedd feel for the road so keep it in 2 till you stuck, and then only use 4 to gain momentum. so front.
the front does have more weight... till u accelerate then it transfers to the rear wheels
Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I like it in the dirt

Originally Posted by jonnyb78
the front does have more weight... till u accelerate then it transfers to the rear wheels
and once at cruising speed the wieght goes where? I'm not trying to be a dick i really dont know
Old 11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

and once at cruising speed the wieght goes where? I'm not trying to be a dick i really dont know
Good question I think it evaporates and returns only when you hit the breaks.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

I do drive in 2 wheel drive unless I need it then I use the 4 hi in my jeep,either part or full time,i do not have an issue with it,but my truck I only lock in one hub,it works good like that,but I take it out of 4wheel as soon as it is not needed.
I only use it going through the passes when it is clear two wheel will not handle it.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I like it in the dirt

I am not a fan of mountain driving in the winter. And did not really realize you were a mountain man. If mountain driving must be done and there is snow on the road i just stay behind the slow big truck in front of me. Gives me an excuse to drive like im 150
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

I am not a fan of mountain driving in the winter. And did not really realize you were a mountain man. If mountain driving must be done and there is snow on the road i just stay behind the slow big truck in front of me. Gives me an excuse to drive like im 150
Living in canada I think you drive in the snow much more than i do,I do not live in the mountains where it snows all the time,but at times i do and just sharing my exsperiences in it. If it snowed here they would have a national disaster.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I like it in the dirt

It is a national disaster here, i tell you my winch works in the winter time here. People just get used to being in the ditch or up trees here.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

I live right at the bottom of the sierras,about 15 miles from here we have a little town called Paradise,when it snows there they call it parallyzed,it is like a snow circus,round and round they go and where they stop know one knows,but the ones that do know how to drive in it help the others out.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
I live right at the bottom of the sierras,about 15 miles from here we have a little town called Paradise,when it snows there they call it parallyzed,it is like a snow circus,round and round they go and where they stop know one knows,but the ones that do know how to drive in it help the others out.

Being on the East coast of North Carolina we don't get much snow. Every once in a while we will get a little bit. Not enough to measure for the most part.

If we get flurries school shuts down.

If we get any more than 1/4th inch on the ground roads turn to nothing but mess and people turn even more reckless and have NO idea how to drive in the snow. Its pretty scary.

One year we got about 6 -8 inches of snow and you would have thought the world came to an end.

Quick Reply: Lockers in front or rear?